Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
With regard to the size...with bluetooth earpieces, who says just because something is a phone you have to hole it up to your ear?

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
With regard to the size...with bluetooth earpieces, who says just because something is a phone you have to hole it up to your ear?
heh, have you seen the amount of ridicule most bluetooth earpieces get in tech news comments?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Then again, some cellular service providers are starting to provide dual SIM solutions: two SIM's with the same phone number and the same account. I have a dual SIM for testing iPhones and competitor devices with my own phone number. But it's quite funny: my E71 and the iPhone rings at the same time. So that's also not a perfect solution; it also costs a fair amount, at least here in Finland.
While somewhat off topic, i suspect the inevitable future (but watch the telcos fight it every nanometer of the way) is a service that allows one to tie multiple devices to a single number, most likely by way of SIP or similar.

Then have some system where your devices are prioritized by time of day, time of year, and whatever other condition one can think of.

That way, the system would try the highest priority device on the list thats currently connected and potentially free (tho i guess one could have it set so that if one device is in use, route all other traffic to answering service or equivalent device).

Hmm, is there not a service of said kind provided by google already?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
a) on headsets: 99% of my calls are done via wired headset, almost never, unless I'm not expecting it, do I talk with the handset to my head.

b) With Google Voice, you can probably do the multiple-devices-per-phone-number now. I don't know if it works directly with SIP phones or not, though. Also consider that there's a carrier named Zer01 that is doing unlimited data only (they're an AT&T MVNO, and they're basically selling VOIP solutions for conventional handsets, and not offering any kind of conventional GSM voice. It would be interesting to see how these things might all come together.

Update on the DigiCube XP Phone:

http://www.pocketables.net/2009/09/d...-xp-phone.html

It's being re-branded by eking ... and it will have a Linux version. No word on what version of linux, nor whether it will preserve the phone functionality.

Still, 5" tilt touch screen, 5 row fully qwerty keyboard. Could be interesting.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
looks like this device is going to come to the western world as the psiXpda
http://www.psixpda.com/content/psixpda-pocket-computer

pricing doesn't look particularly compelling thoug, about £500 or US$800.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/04/p...-had-14-years/

The PsiXpda was posted on UMPCPortal, as well. My thoughts on it were:

Thinking about that more …

Changes I’d want to see:

a) Android as the primary OS. I’d probably also want dual-booting to Ubuntu. I can understand others wanting to boot it to some from of Windows, as well.

b) put the FN key where the CTRL key is, put the CTRL key where the del key is, and put an Android “home” button where the CTRL key is now, put an Android “Menu” buttonwhere the PsiX key is, and put an Android “back” button where the Alt key is. Maybe change the “FN” key’s name to “Alt”, but that’s of lesser importance.

c) potentially, change it from being based on an Atom CPU to being based on a TI OMAP 3xxx 1GHz CPU. That would alter the Windows choices, but would also greatly extend the battery life.

d) make sure it’s audio port is bidirectional (like a cell phone’s 3.5mm jack), for use with Google Voice, Skype, etc.

e) in the US, options for T-Mobile 3G, AT&T 3G, Sprint 3G, Sprint 4G (WiMAX), and Verizon 3G. Ideally, it’s just a PCI-Express-Mini card that the customer can install or swap as they see fit.

f) the antenna button should pull up a menu with 4 checkboxes: bluetooth on/off, wifi on/off, 3G on/off, and airplane mode (no wireless of any kind; dims the other 3 options without forgetting their state, so you can easily go back to your previous mode of operation when you uncheck this one later).

g) on Verizon, have a Mifi-like capability (there are Android apps for it already, just saying: bundle it). Ideally, it’d be on all of the units, but only Verizon seems to be tethering-friendly with their Android devices (in the US, dunno about other countries and their carriers).

h) hopefully, it also has KVM capability. If that IS a docking port by the keyboard, hopefully it’s DVI-I and not just VGA. And hopefully it has other USB-Host capability (the specs imply it has both a USB-mini and a USB port).

If it has all of that, I could see it maybe being my “one pocketable” device. I’d be a little leery of using Google Voice as my one phone capability. Better would be if they integrated full phone functionality (voice and SMS). But even without that … with a 3G module, Android, Google Voice, and wifi/mifi tethering, this could be an awesome device.

(and, yes, as a “pocketable”, it’s very much at the “upper end” of the spectrum for that … even for a big guy like me, it would be pushing the envelope of pocketability)
And, it would probably also make a great device for Maemo. Esp. with the switch to an ARM CPU. I wonder if Nokia is willing to license Maemo for non-phone devices.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Just as a favor to those who love the Psion Series 5 PDA, now you can find this PsiXpda thread with a search. Now and then on this forum some posters reminisce about how they loved the Psion. The Engadget article in Post #16 compares them.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I ended up buying a Fujitsu U820 as I liked the form factor of the ultraportable but the psiXpda was a lot more expensive than the ebay special (bought it with spare battery, docking station, 32GB sdhc card, boxed complete in excellent condition for £380 inc delivery). In theory I will be able to install a miniPCIe 3G card.