Active Topics

Poll: want portrait in the next firmware ?
Poll Options
want portrait in the next firmware ?

Hi sorry, but in most of your points, portrait is senseless.

> more easy to use the cellphone (one hand)
this is already implemented, you can use the phone that way.

> to send sms,chat or web browser
useless. the keyboard is landscape, why should i use it in portrait mode then ?
in addition to that, nearly 100% of all monitors (notebook & desktop) are in landscape, too

>see photos,videos
i would guess, that 90% of all pictures are in landscape mode.

Last edited by der_stefan; 2010-03-23 at 17:39.

Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
a portrait onscreen keyboard would be pretty awesome

The Following User Says Thank You to raily For This Useful Post:
Well, I voted "yes".... but nice to have, but not necessary, cos i already get used to the landscape mode and happy with it. When I used my friends phone and I feel kinda weird too with portrait mode. hee hee.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki
Nokia has said at least thousand times that MAEMO 5 WONT GET PORTAIT MODE.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinipyon For This Useful Post:
I didn't think I'd like no portrait mode, but I actually don't miss it. Yes, if we had it, I'd probably use it for texting, if I was being lazy and had only one hand free. But there again, my previous phone, I always used both hands to text.

The only other things I'd like portrait for is certain apps, like the twitter apps, but that is for the app makers to do, not Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to m165 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oxford , England
The only thing i would want now in portrait is SMS, have a t9 onscreen keyboard just purely for when i have only one hand free.
Anyway quick question...
How do i enable portrait browser?

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by Andy214 View Post
IMHO, Portrait mode would not be nice for Desktop
It has to be landscape mode; imagine a PC Windows Desktop goes into Portrait mode when you turn the monitor around
I agree that the desktop would look bad in portrait mode but consider the rather bad example of the iPhone.

If you look at the iPhone's (very boring) home screen you will find that it too will not rotate. On the other hand if you got to send an SMS message on an iPhone you can send it portrait or landscape.

What I am trying to say is that I don't believe full OS portrait mode is needed as many third party applications already have it, you can get it in the browser and in the phone app.

I do believe the portrait mode should be integrated into sending SMS on the N900 with a T9 keyboard after all what is the reason for not having it? The same should apply to the photo viewing application although it may be remedial it would be nice not to have to turn the phone around to browse your photos.

Portrait mode would make the device better for using 'on the go' as one hand functionality is far more convenient.

Just thought I would share my view on this rather tired topic.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
i want to write sms in port' mode using the software keyboard

Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
Honestly everything that i need portrait mode for is already set up for portrait mode. the only way i would benefit from portrait mode in the sms would be if it came with t9 prediction. otherwise i wouldn't need it
Unless I am missing something, what would be nice is for the phone app to auto rotate. I can see it already has both modes as it is in landscape mode in the task switcher, but I would like it to stay that way unless I turn it, instead of automatically switching to portrait mode.

Originally Posted by Andy214 View Post
Web Browser already supports Portrait mode. There're also few apps that supports Portrait mode.
I would also like to know how to use the web browser in portrait mode. I looked in settings and options for the browser, but couldn't see it.
Also, out of curiosity, is there a list anywhere of apps that support both modes?

Ben

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by jcm6084 View Post
The only thing i would want now in portrait is SMS, have a t9 onscreen keyboard just purely for when i have only one hand free.
Anyway quick question...
How do i enable portrait browser?
Open the broswer and hit Ctrl-Shift-O I believe. It should be in the Wiki.

Tags
disappointment imminent, search are the suck