Active Topics

The "killer app" this thing is supposed to have is internet browsing, and sadly, it sucks at it.

IMHO it doesnt seem like it makes use of virtual ram or good buffering technology. I set the flash buffer to unlimited, and as its playing the video it says its buffering 1kb.

What the devs need to do is simple:

1. start with MAJOR important sites, like the entire google set (maps, mail, etc) and make everything work perfect for that.

2. goto heavy read/traffic sites like Engadget, Digg, etc and make sure the browser can view those perfectly.

3. allow a feedback page where users can give Nokia links to pages that dont load right, in order to help Nokia sort problems.

4. try and work with Google/Yahoo to develop apps like GMAIL and GOOGLEMAPS so instead of just using the browser, we can load them as an application. That way they work perfect.

5. would performance benefit from a larger virtual page file?

6. FOR CHRISTS SAKE: when i type in USER@HOTMAIL.COM why does the damn thing NEVER remember the "hotmail.com". it turns the dictionary off after the "@" sign.

Last edited by Garage Battle; 2007-07-06 at 14:25.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
There will be more updates for the device.
Tomorrow again??

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
My take is that the biggest feature is the Flash 9.

And the SDHC support, yes, it is there. While this is good I was slightly disappointed to notice that the transfer speed is about half of the speed that I had with old firmware and SDHC kernel patch. I assume in this firmware the bus clock speed is capped to 24MHz instead of 48MHz? Oh, and one more thing: The famous memory card corruption bug is claimed to be solved in this firmware... But we'll see...
Would this transfer speed have an impact on music/videos played from these cards? I have two 8 gig cards one for video and the other for songs, and if the slow down has an impact on playback I certainly won't upgrade.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
No, but Ogg Vorbis, and it still doesn't work!
I don't care about .asf much.
Ogg Vorbis support is still not built-in???? I just don't get this. I realize that it's not used anywhere near as much as MP3 and AAC, but Ogg is FREE as in FREE (MP3 and AAC are NOT)...pretty much what GNU/Linux stands for...it's not like the code isn't out there. It's a standard thing for a GNU/Linux box to include Ogg Vorbis support. Any GNU/Linux device that supports media should be able to use Ogg Vorbis out of the box. I know I'm in the minority, but nearly all of my audio files are in this format, and it's ridiculous not to be able to use them on the N800.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
"I'm thinking from this point on I just won't say anything. Overall that seems best."

Agreed.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Nanocore View Post
Would this transfer speed have an impact on music/videos played from these cards? I have two 8 gig cards one for video and the other for songs, and if the slow down has an impact on playback I certainly won't upgrade.
I did not notice any effect with media player. I only noticed it when copying files between the N800 and PC.

Just wondering if the SDHC kernel patch can be applied for this OS version too... I'd think that it works but... any brave souls there to try out?

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
I just don't get it. Why does Nokia insist on releasing things that are not ready to be released? Is there someone working at Nokia that keeps trying to rush things out the door?

Was this supposed to kill the iPhone hype?

Sorry but you guys (Nokia) missed it. Big time.

I'd rather have waited another two months if the things in the upgrade worked properly.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
WARNING ....

I ve problem with this new firmware update, instead of many people i can install python ...

But often the digitizer didn't respond and i need to reboot. And specially after a calibration ......

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Best of luck to all developers. Do what you can. If this device is going to be sucessful. It may be because of your very hard work.

The ONE thing I don't get is why Flash videos (youtube) are getting slower with every new firmware update??? This release has Flash9 support. Great, BUT youtube is working slower than in the last firmware!