Posts: 46 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
For some reason when clicking with stylus, it hits the wrong place. With Sketch you can see this best when picking line tool and drawing with it. The line comes out 1-2 mm off from the place of stylus.

I have tried calibrating screen several time on both new and old firmware but it doesn't seem to do anything. Even if I click somewhere far away from those little circles it doesn't seem to affect at all.

So should I get this to service or does someone have any idea what could be done?

Try scribbling all over the screen in a fullscreen drawing app. See if you have concave bulges near the screen edges where you can't get anything to register. Usually, when this happens, the calibration shifts by x amount away from the bulge, causing clicks to register consistently off to the side of where you intended. This is a sure sign that a touchscreen has gone bad and you should seek replacement.

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Try scribbling all over the screen in a fullscreen drawing app. See if you have concave bulges near the screen edges where you can't get anything to register. Usually, when this happens, the calibration shifts by x amount away from the bulge, causing clicks to register consistently off to the side of where you intended. This is a sure sign that a touchscreen has gone bad and you should seek replacement.
I tried Sketch in fullscreen. Again drawing with line tool and if I keep stylus on the right side of the screen, the line follows the movements even when not on the drawing area. But on the left side of screen it stops in several places? And every time on same places. So it seems like the screen has gone bad?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I had bad problems somewhat similar that gradually went away after a few days. In my case, all I could theorize was that some part of the N800 got wet, perhaps when I opened the N800 to change batteries. The problem got better as drying occurred. I have no evidence for that, it is just a guess. So I associate this with a hardware problem.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I had bad problems somewhat similar that gradually went away after a few days. In my case, all I could theorize was that some part of the N800 got wet, perhaps when I opened the N800 to change batteries. The problem got better as drying occurred. I have no evidence for that, it is just a guess. So I associate this with a hardware problem.
I have had this problem several weeks now (just been waiting firmware update ) so I don't think its going anywhere now that fw didn't fix it. I guess I have to carry it to service...

Ok, now I got my IT back from service and it seems that the problem still exists. They changed the whole display for the device, but looks like it didn't help.

When surfing and pressing stylus on a same spot for a little while the circle comes and the stylus is not in the middle of the circle. And when trying to press a little link (like on the forums) it doesn't work on top of it but somewhere near the correct spot.

Is there something I could do? Calibration doesn't seem to do anything.

EDIT: Should the stylus be right in the middle of the circle?

Here are two (poor quality) pictures of the problem and as you can see, stylus is on the top right corner of the circle:
Attached Images

Last edited by Gluz; 2007-08-15 at 11:17.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Is this just in the top left of the screen or all over the screen? I have issues along the bottom left corner of my screen after replacement - the screen detects clicks at the very bottom of the screen, but registers the stylus position about 8 pixels higher up the screen than it really is. Fortunately it's only a small area and something I can live with, but annoying all the same.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Is this just in the top left of the screen or all over the screen? I have issues along the bottom left corner of my screen after replacement - the screen detects clicks at the very bottom of the screen, but registers the stylus position about 8 pixels higher up the screen than it really is. Fortunately it's only a small area and something I can live with, but annoying all the same.
Actually the bottom left is the only place that mine works ok and it's almost in the middle of the circle. But everywhere else it registers at wrong place so it's pretty annoying..

Perhaps we can combine our screens so we get one good one