Active Topics

So this is my first time viewing this thread and just today got interested in using a keyboard with my n900. Can someone sum up the 250+ posts in this thread for us newcomers? Like what keyboards have the best support? What exactly are the steps to get it to work? What limitations are there?

Thank you.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Originally Posted by bachagabriel View Post
Hey guys, I was reading the post on how to connect a BT keyboard and I have the same problem. There seems not to be the Method Connect after org.bluez.input

I have a DiNovo Edge, the same keyboard pH5 has so the problem is not from the keyboard.

I also enabled input in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=234

Double check which of the MAC-s you are using

Originally Posted by sygys View Post
Well offcourse i love the work of the community. But few people keep in mind that there are allot of people like me who just starting to understand how the whole picture works. and with codes like these @ #219 i dont understand what to do.

Some people are working with maemo for years. i just used it for a few months. i can flash the device i can change LED patterns, change system icons and sounds.. but codes like this i really dont understand.

Its the lack of good explaination for "the dummies" who want to learn maemo i think scaring them off.

Not to mention 50+ pages most of these threads have.
I Agree with sygys Community is doing great things. but I am also a dummy! Love my n900! but I don't know a thing about Linux I want to know and want to learn. I need good explanation step by step instructions (in detail) how to input code.

maybe someone can put a video on youtube to help show us dummies how to input code and other things that come naturally to the community but leaves us dummies looking dumber then we thought.

Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=234

Double check which of the MAC-s you are using

Yeah people can make mistakes like those.. It's a good thing to double check but I am using my keyboard's MAC.. Still not working

Originally Posted by kbeeveer46 View Post
So this is my first time viewing this thread and just today got interested in using a keyboard with my n900. Can someone sum up the 250+ posts in this thread for us newcomers? Like what keyboards have the best support? What exactly are the steps to get it to work? What limitations are there?
I just got my stowaway keyboard working, so I started a wiki page:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Blue...eyboard_Layout

It's only a start. I haven't yet got the setxkbmap command happening automatically, that's why I haven't documented that part.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matthew_exon For This Useful Post:
This looks very promising!

However when I run the following:

Code:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.bluez / org.bluez.Manager.DefaultAdapter
It spits out the same response as if I had merely typed 'dbus-send', in otherwords it's almost like it doesn't like something about the parameters. I double checked to make sure no spelling errors. Is it possible it doesn't recognize the 'org.bluez' on my N900? Is this possible and how does one get 'bluez'?'

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 383 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hong Kong
I just got myself an Neos BluSlim BTK-1 Bluetooth keyboard and managed to pair it with my N900 and followed the instructions as described in http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Blue...eyboard_Layout.

Everything works like a charm, and even Home and End keys (using the Fn key on the Bluetooth keyboard) works nicely!!

For those interested in the keyboard, here is the official link:
http://www.ect.com.hk/1/en/enduser/p...category_id=66
As seen in the video, it works with iPad too!

And here is a Chinese report about the keyboard, with loads of pics!!
http://www.umpcfever.com/news/?postid=3640

The Following User Says Thank You to amandalam For This Useful Post:
Hi, all ---

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but has anyone else gotten the error "Error loading new keyboard description" when executing command:

<code>
setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us
</code>

?

Just for background:
- I am attempting this with a Think Outside Stowaway keyboard
- I can pair with the keyboard normally -- I just get usual behavior of only being able to type letters, period, and comma.
- Keyboard shows up on list of keyboards shown in "hildon-im-xkbtool --list" command
- I have downloaded and untar'd the Chinook xkb tar as root.
- I have copied over all files that existed in the Chinook setup that did not exit in the Freemantle setup (with -i) as root.
- When I try the setxkbmap command with the "xkb" directory as the target, it seems to succeed (no error messages). However, I still can't type all the letters on the (still connected) Stowaway. (This is done as user).
- When I try it on the "xkb-chinook" directory, I get the error above. (also as user).

Anyone get this behavior? Anyone able to fix it? Feels like I am so close to getting this working... dratted last step syndrome...

Thanks,
Sam

Hi, all ---

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but has anyone else gotten the error "Error loading new keyboard description" when executing command:

setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us

?

Just for background:
- I am attempting this with a Think Outside Stowaway keyboard
- I can pair with the keyboard normally -- I just get usual behavior of only being able to type letters, period, and comma.
- Keyboard shows up on list of keyboards shown in "hildon-im-xkbtool --list" command
- I have downloaded and untar'd the Chinook xkb tar as root.
- I have copied over all files that existed in the Chinook setup that did not exit in the Freemantle setup (with -i) as root.
- When I try the setxkbmap command with the "xkb" directory as the target, it seems to succeed (no error messages). However, I still can't type all the letters on the (still connected) Stowaway. (This is done as user).
- When I try it on the "xkb-chinook" directory, I get the error above. (also as user).

Anyone get this behavior? Anyone able to fix it? Feels like I am so close to getting this working... dratted last step syndrome...

Thanks,
Sam

Chalk up another one for the response to the command that should theoretically complete the basic pairing setup:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Input" doesn't exist

Trying to use an apple wireless keyboard, the thin compact aluminum one. I am using the bluetooth mac addy that is reported in the "hcitool scan" command.

also, HID was not present in my conf file, but input was and I just commented out that whole plugin line.

any thoughts?