Notices

Hello, I need help. I tried using a garmin map along with the navit.xml and navitOSD.xml that were premade. The img file is a little over a gig (is this correct?) When I open navit, the GPS starts, but navit never opens. I'm wondering what I did wrong. I had the xml with garmin image set to yes, and had it pointing to media/mms1/maps/*.img.

After deleting out the modified xml's, navit loaded up without issue, just with no maps where is my mistake?

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Netherlands
You could try to run this from the X terminal:

run-standalone.sh navit

maybe the problem is printed out.

well i got navit to boot, must have been something i set up incorrectly. the garmin map doesnt show anything so i assume i got the wrong one. I was able to configure openstreetmap map so I'm asuming I understand the setup and the map I have is wrong. can someone shoot me a pm where i can find a USA garmin map that will work with navit. thx!

Last edited by mrdally204; 2010-03-14 at 00:06.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Netherlands
When the garmin map shows up in the menu you know it has been loaded. My problem is always how to get navit go to an area that is covered by the map. Unfortunately searching always crashes for me. A GPS could work or setting the center in navit.xml or in ~/.navit/center.txt. As for which values to use as the center that is still a mistery to my.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Las Vegas
mrdally204: I am the one that put pre-made navit.xml files up on the wiki as well as modified the wiki instructions to use those example files. I unfortunatly had a typo in the instructions that someone else just recently fixed.

On the old version of the wiki I wrote that the example navit.xml file would look for maps in /media/mmc1/map however in the navit.xml file available for download it was set to /media/mmc1/Maps. Thankfully someone else saw the issue and corrected the wiki to match the location in the xml file.

So make sure that if you are using the navit.xml that is available on the wiki that your maps are in the correct spot. (In this case it should now be /media/mmc1/Maps)

My apologies to anyone that downloaded the example files in the past and was frustrated with this little detail...

thanks for the info. i was able to get the map to load in navit, it just doesnt show the map. my configuration is correct, i actually read the xml file for the location instead of the directions Again I'm thinking its the map I am trying to use. Can anyone using a map give me some hints. (size of img file, where they got it ect)

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Las Vegas
Do a search for a nearby town and see if anything comes up. If nothing comes up then something is definitly wrong with your setup.

If you do have items that come up in search then one typical problem with new installs is that Navit doesn't know where you are located when it is first run. As a result it draws your location somewhere on the planet (not sure where it defaults to) where your map data probably doesn't contain anything to display. The result is what appears to be an empty map and zooming out doesn't get you far enough to see where your map data might be on the planet.

There are two tricks to getting around this. The first is to do a search for a town you know should be contained within your map data. Then click on "display on map" and Navit should then take you to that location. The other is to wait until you get a GPS fix and assuming you have map data for your location Navit center to your location and display your data.

Finally... You may have stated this before but are you using OSM data or something else? If you are using OSM data are you getting it from the following location:

http://maps.navit-project.org/download/

If not, try downloading your map data using that utility.

Last edited by adamis; 2010-03-15 at 02:01.

Thanks for the tips. I am attempting to use a garmin img file. Nothing is brought up when I search for town. I can successfully load up OSM file, but would prefer the garmin as I would believe it should have better map/POI/routing information built in, Or am I mistaken?
*edit
There is a green check next to my garmin img file so it seems like it can locate it, it just wont load the map file

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Toronto
Trac 282 is now closed/Fixed courtesy of chollya. The patch that I made sooo long ago is now part of Navit for the N8/9x0.

Gerritv

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Wrote somewhere else, but I rephrase here:
Will Garmin NT maps work under Navit?
Thanks in advance