Active Topics

Hi,

I'm wondering if gizmo is a real SIP-Client! I don't really want a gizmo account since I have allready an SIP account from arcor (german Provider). And I tried everything to make the SIP-account work with gizmo - but it didn't helped!! The strange thing is, that there's no error message!!
So - is it possible to use gizmo as an real SIP-client!! Are there other SIP-clients ported to maemo? (OS 2007)
Hope this is no dumb question!!

dustXman

It's certainly possible to do so. However, the syntax for SIP dialing through Gizmo is a bit odd sometimes.

When you need to dial a SIP IP address that doesn't have user accounts, just an IP, you have to make up a user account in order to get it to dial at all.

i.e. where you would dial SIP:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx you would need to dial SIP:123@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx instead. It doesn't matter what you put before the @, it just needs to be there.

no - you missunderstood me!!
I don't wanted to dial my arcor account but I tried to log in to my account using gizmo as an softphone!! However I think you can just log in to Gizmo-SIP-accounts since it is no open SIP-client!!
Does anybody menaged to port another Softphone to maemo!!

dustXman

The Following User Says Thank You to dustXman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
dustXman, I set up Gizmo to work with my existing SIP-accounts (sipcall.at and sipgate.at being the providers) without any problems.

The only thing you need to know is that you need to set up your existing account through the "secondary account"-option on the login screen. I never found any other method for this from within Gizmo. Also, Gizmo never uses the axpression "SIP-account", they always refer to it as "secondary account". (This is probably because Gizmo itself uses SIP itself, so technically "SIP" doesn't make a difference )

Originally Posted by dustXman View Post
no - you missunderstood me!!
I don't wanted to dial my arcor account but I tried to log in to my account using gizmo as an softphone!! However I think you can just log in to Gizmo-SIP-accounts since it is no open SIP-client!!
Does anybody menaged to port another Softphone to maemo!!

dustXman
If you're referring to the 2nd account capability of the Gizmo client, you need to use an internet-accessible server since Gizmo servers will be making the connection on your behalf.

Here's Gizmo's knowledgebase article on the subject:
http://support.gizmoproject.com/inde...details&_i=202

Gizmo may solve the SIP thing sorta, but brings up a whole lot of other issues (especially privacy issues). IMO it shouldn't be counted in as a SIP solution for the N800.

Has there really no other Softphone beeing ported to maemo?

dustXman

I believe there was ported one for the N770

stable?

Which Phone was ported? Ekiga?

dustXman