Active Topics

Is the bq27200 connected to the OMAP or to another chip? Nokia's kernel does not include the BQ27200 kernel.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Originally Posted by xav View Post
This tool is really nice, thanks a lot !
While using it with powertop, I've discovered that my IM accounts were real power suckers. Now I've disconnected them all, and instead of something like 10hrs I run through the whole day with 60% battery left.

So there's a real problem with IM accounts. Too bad, being connected everywhere was the reason for buying an N900 in the first place
Maybe try disabling the IM accounts one by one to find out which of them are so power hungry - I'm using only Pecan MSN and when idling it barely consumes more battery with IM enabled than when offline.

I would also like to get some powertop functionality added to battery eye and maybe a step by step guide to geting the data from sqlite into excel, I would love to do some analysis on whats eating what even better would be to get a few weeks worth of data from as many folks as possable...

0xAA and 0xAB includes the write byte, I think you should be looking at address 0x55..

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
0xAA and 0xAB includes the write byte, I think you should be looking at address 0x55..
0xAB is device adress ( chip itself ) for read on i2c bus

The bq27200 supports the standard I2C read, incremental read, quick read, and one byte write functions. The
7-bit device address (ADDR) is the most significant 7 bits of the hex address and is fixed as 1010101. The 8-bit
device address is therefore 0xAA or 0xAB for write or read, respectively

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
With SmartReflex enabled I've seen an extra day of battery. Up to 3 days without needing a recharge. This is with light usage and only one or two short calls.

Originally Posted by blue_led View Post
0xAB is device adress ( chip itself ) for read on i2c bus

The bq27200 supports the standard I2C read, incremental read, quick read, and one byte write functions. The
7-bit device address (ADDR) is the most significant 7 bits of the hex address and is fixed as 1010101. The 8-bit
device address is therefore 0xAA or 0xAB for write or read, respectively
Is the BQ27200 in the N900 connected to the OMAP? If so, why does the kernel not see it? Why did Nokia not include its driver in their kernel? If it is not connected to the OMAP, that how is this information useful to us?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Originally Posted by juise- View Post
(3) My battery doesn't charge to 100%?

Don't blame me, the program just reads the values from HAL as they are. If HAL says 97 percent, then that's what gets recorded and eventually displayed.
I remember reading somewhere that due to internal resistance factors, the charger will never put the battery to 100% unless it's voltage has decreased below a certain point? Maybe someone can clear up some battery myths.

P.S. Thanks for the great program!

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Is the BQ27200 in the N900 connected to the OMAP? If so, why does the kernel not see it? Why did Nokia not include its driver in their kernel? If it is not connected to the OMAP, that how is this information useful to us?
Yes this chip is connected on omap i2c bus number 2.
probably his driver is in closed source of nokia drivers or low level driver has minimal implementation . why is not listed in i2c list of drivers i don't figure yet but i keep searching the code

according to schematics it is a battery fuel gauge on i2c bus #2
also there is sense resistor to gazoo chip ( twl4030 )

in kernel i find this
"++CONFIG_W1_SLAVE_BQ27000=y
++# CONFIG_BATTERY_BQ27x00 is not set
++CONFIG_TWL4030_BCI_BATTERY=y

"

From datasheet ( tps65950 hard & soft compatible with twl4030 )
The BCI also performs monitoring functions:
• ac charger detection
• VBUS detection
• Battery detection
• ac charger overvoltage detection
• VBUS overvoltage detection
• Battery overvoltage detection
• Battery voltage level detection
• Battery charge current level detection
• Battery temperature out-of-range detection
• Battery end-of-charge detection
• Battery overcurrent detection
• Watchdog

bq27x00 features

* HDQ (bq27000) or I2C (bq27200) Communication
* Reports Accurate Time-to-Empty With Measured Load and Historical Maximum and Standby Loads
* Reports Temperature, Voltage, and Current
* High Accuracy Charge and Discharge Current Integration with Automatic Offset Calibration
* Requires No User Calibration
* Programmable Input/Output Port
* Internal User EEPROM Configuration Memory
* Automatic Capacity Reduction With Age
* Stable Oscillator Without External Components
* Dynamic End-of-Discharge Detection Delay to Allow Use in a High-Dynamic Load Environment
* Automatic Sleep Mode When Communication Lines are Low
* Available in a Small 3 mm x 4 mm QFN Package
* Five Low-Power Operating Modes
o Active: < 90 ľA
o Sleep: < 2.5 ľA
o Ship: < 2 ľA (bq27000 only)
o Hibernate: < 1.5 ľA
o Data Retention: < 20 nA

my opinion :
- it is possible to find bq27200 chip on the board but nokia can choose to not put in future. this chip is not mandatory for n900 running but can do better monitoring . nokia put this on the board but don't have time to write the software, an appendix almost useless until somebody choose it.
- battery can be monitored by software through twl chip
- it is a wrong initialization of driver for bq27200 ( i2dc device 0x55) or driver missing entirely even if it is activated by "CONFIG_W1_SLAVE_BQ27000=y" . bq27x00 chip is made in two bus variants bq27200 for i2c bus and bq27000 for hdq 1wire bus
so something is wrong in software, schematics make sense.

bq27200 chip is near blamed isp1707 usb transceiver chip
Attached Images

Last edited by blue_led; 2010-03-18 at 18:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post: