Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
Maemo should look at Google Groups Privacy Policy, which clearly states that your email is available to all who are members of any group you join.
Right. IMO that's the simplest, best solution.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Point missed.

Andre's comment was mild teasing humor. That's all. Attempts to make anything sinister out of it are utterly disingenuous.
No it is the posts after that in support of his "mild teasing humor" statement that suck...

To everyone else my opinion is:

Bugzilla ain't freakin' "Facebook".
It is for serious reports from serious people, I have no problem with using my addy as I want a serious response to the dang bugs I report.

I also don't want the process ruined by anonymous, spammed bug reports. It is boring and tedious enough to manage the information I receive from this "anonymous" forum as it is.

I understood that the minute I crossed over from this forum and registered on the maemo.org side of the house.
Sooner or later ya got to grow up.

If you don't want your email addy displayed, simple fix: Register a throw away and change it to that on your user account page.

And for those piping up about legal requirements and whatnot... Good luck with that. What are you going to pay your lawyer with, karma?

I agree the standard MO response to "Feel Free to...(whatever)" can get a person riled up. Typically the first response to hearing that is well then "feel free to go... (whatever ) yourself".

...but it is what it is.

If you're serious about improving your device then participate and deal with it.
If not then feel free to....

SLN member # 009

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
No it is the posts after that in support of his "mild teasing humor" statement that suck...
Just when I thought we were done with pointless provocation.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Just when I thought we were done with pointless provocation.

If that one line is all that you got out my multi paragraph post then I guess you're the one that's not done.

SLN member # 009

This ridiculous debate has convinced me to leave maemo.org. I would like to delete my account. Please let me know who I should contact about this.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Somebody's trying to leave.

Smithers, get the dogs!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by tnhh View Post
This ridiculous debate has convinced me to leave maemo.org. I would like to delete my account. Please let me know who I should contact about this.
I hope you enjoyed the two months and thanks for all your valuable contributions
Ridicilous is only the assumption and naivety of the original poster who probably never used a bugtracker before and doesn't get the ideas of open source collaboration and teamwork, then people getting into privacy ranting mode (nobody posted your underwear pictures, but an email address useful for communication about specific problems where we share a common interest).
You know, some of us come from an age where E-Mail was all we had

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
The title of this thread could equally well have been "ZOMG! Bugzilla is using my email address as an email address, I might get email!"

Really, that's what it's for.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Accounts cannot be deleted (and it makes no sense anyway). You could disable it though.
Just to clarify on anyone that was confused by this "you can't delete accounts". He's actually correct - deleting an account would break the referential integrity of the system. Wherever the account had been used there would be a back hole if it was completely deleted. The parser would error out when trying to construct the page from the database.

To be technically correct you should 'null out' all the data on the account - email address, etc. Depending on your view to data protection you could also null out all previous comments by that account (so they show as being made, but just as a blank).
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Just to clarify on anyone that was confused by this "you can't delete accounts". He's actually correct - deleting an account would break the referential integrity of the system. Wherever the account had been used there would be a back hole if it was completely deleted. The parser would error out when trying to construct the page from the database.

To be technically correct you should 'null out' all the data on the account - email address, etc. Depending on your view to data protection you could also null out all previous comments by that account (so they show as being made, but just as a blank).
Just have a single "Deleted user" account (with email notifications disabled), and merge any others into it when they ask to be deleted. There's scripts available for merging bugzilla accounts.