Active Topics

Notices

I am happily to announce a new music player application - symfonie.

8/17/2010
For easier to maintenance of update information, I have create a page for symfonie. Please use the following URL for program updates:

http://thecodecentral.com/symfonie

If you like symfonie please help us test the package and promote it to extra.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

--for Fremantle (N900)

A directory based music player with equalizer
===================================
This is preview package of a light weight music player written in QT. The player is still under heavy development, though basic media features are supported. Here's list of features included in this build:

- Browse file using directory structure (any folders as long as you have access to it)
- 8-band audio equalizer
- Sleep timer
- Resuming the playback from last opened state (still testing this)
- Landscape/Portrait mode (Toolbars still need some more work)
- Full screen mode
===========================================
Known issues:
- When changing view mode (landscape or portrait), toolbar buttons got mis-arranged (will fix this when I have time).
- High CPU usage (probably due to the equalizer). Solutions are: make equalizer feature optional or set higher process priority (is this possible?).
- "Auto" viewing mode is not working due to current QT support limitation

Updates

==20100608 (v0.2.2)==
* Recompiled the package for PR 1.2
* Interface overhaul. Under full screen mode will give you even more space (see new script shoots)
* Auto orientation mode is working after PR 1.2
* Buttons in toolbar will now keep their correct order.
* Added option to hide the toolbar
* And a lot other bug fixes

==20100401 (v0.2-2)==
* Uploaded program screen shots
* Updated window title
* Bug fix for graduate volume resuming (now should be working)
* Limited file browser to home directory
* Added *.wma file type filter

==20100309==
* Icons overhaul
* Updated about dialog
* Added *.wav file extension filter

==20100308==
* Added *.m4a file extension filter
* Equalizer is made an optional feature now due to high CPU consumption
* Removed directory path for songs in item view
* Slightly increased item view font size
* Added *.mp3/*.mp4/*.ogg file extension filter
* New bug: Stacked window is now broken after adding menu to sub window

Added on 20100608:

=========================================

The package can be found at http://maemo.org/packages/view/symfonie. It has already been imported to extras-devel, so anyone who has extras-devel repository enabled should be able to download it.

To enable extra-devel, add this to your App Manager's catelog:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel

Be very caution that extras-devel is for people who want to test/try softwares which are not ready for releasing. Please read here for more information:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-devel

Background:
The original intent of writing this application was that I need a simple media player "just the way I wanted" - play mp3 files by folders. I didn't want to tag my music library nor to create play list manually. I use directory to manage all my music files because I can group them into exactly the way I wanted. Thus this application is created. So if you don't like it, please don't thumb it down because it is not meant to replace other music players out there.

Thank you for read this and I hope you will find this application useful

Last edited by code; 2010-11-26 at 14:32. Reason: new version

The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to code For This Useful Post:
did not find it in devels

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
This sounds really good, especially playing by folders, just what I want. I'm not usually in devel testing but I'm so intested in this app I'm very tempted.

For those who don't want to enable extras-devel, you can download the deb package directly from (the latest):
http://maemo.org/packages/view/symfonie/

Do a "sudo gainroot" in your N900 x-terminal, and type "dpkg -i [package-name]".

Though by doing this you need to install all the dependencies required by symfonie package manually.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland
nice appl but it actually eats lots of CPU and sometimes it forces player to stop the sound for w while without stoping song.
I think that it should save last equ setting

Last edited by raverpol; 2010-03-07 at 08:18.

Originally Posted by raverpol View Post
nice appl but it is stoped palying itself from time to time. I dont know if there is any rule so far
There are two possible cause as far as I know.
- If you have set the sleep timer, playback will stop at designated time.
- When the CPU usage is high, the playback will be interrupted

Your case is most like the second one. Currently I don't have solution for this. I am trying to figure out a way to set the process priority to high, but I am not sure this is doable through API.

I fount out from TOP command that "pulseaudio" has --high-priority switch. Since symfonie uses QT phonon framework for playback, I don't think symofnie getting this priority benefit.

I am hoping any expert here can explain how to do this for application in Maemo.

There's a walk around for this. Whenever the playback stops, pause the playback for a few second. Once the program catches up its breathe, it will play again.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Hi,

I have enabled extras-devel, installed the app, it installed successfully,
But I cannot find it in the applications menu, and not as a widget, and not as a shortcut.

Help

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Are you interested in taking this app to the next level as a replacement audio player? You have some great features, and I have some good ideas and some design skills I'd like to contribute if you are interested.

Let me know!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
I was just thinking of starting a thread asking if someone was working on a lightweight audio player. Great work! I am going to be following this with a lot of interest!

If I may suggest a next feature to be added later, it would be great to have some sort of playlist management, maybe like winamp on the desktop (I also ignore its media library thing, I already have all my music organised in folders tthe way I like)..

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
ill only try if you port milkdrop as visuals.

The Following User Says Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post: