I have enjoyed using my n900 for the last three months.

I have not installed any nokia software before now, as i was perfectly content using the windows file browser in win7 64 to detect my n900 in mass storage mode.

this was a good thing.

-----------------------------------------------

sadly i was entranced by the possibility of pre-loading ovi maps onto the device as i am off to germany soon, so i installed the pc suite and the map loader in the hope of achieving this.

the fact the map loading software didn't even work is beside the point, it merely adds to the tragedy.

disovering i couldn't pre-load maps anyway i decided to uninstall all nokia software before it poisoned anything else, after all i had been doing just fine before hand, right?

but no.

ever since i removed the nokia software i can no longer connect my n900 to my PC in mass storage mode.
the n900 whinges about not enough power, from the very socket that worked fine for the last three months, and windows never detects the device.

------------------------------------------------------------

i even tried reinstalling the pc suite to get the cable driver back again, and then uni stalling just the pc suite, but still no dice.

------------------------------------------------------------

i don't care that the map preloader doesn't work, frankly i should never expected it to work as nokia PC software has always been garbage, all i want to do is to be able to use my n900 as a mass storage device in windows again.

any idea how i might achieve this blessed state?

cheers

reference: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46590&page=6

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
when you plug the N900 in, does it show in your hardware panel, right click My Computer and goto Properties and select Hardware. look for something with a yellow symbol next to it, if you do have a read of the errors..

http://wiki.maemo.org/General_precautions

and FYI - dont be a n00b and copy and paste commands into the Terminal with out knowing what it doe's and what you'll need to do to correct any problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to starman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I do see the messages on my laptop about not enough power etc for a second or two until the laptop realises what the device is and loads the drivers.

Try reloading the drivers for the device from Device Manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
when you plug the N900 in, does it show in your hardware panel, right click My Computer and goto Properties and select Hardware. look for something with a yellow symbol next to it, if you do have a read of the errors..
cheers.

i do have one warning, but nothing to indicate whether it is the n900 or not:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Originally Posted by starman View Post
that did the job, thank you.

updating the driver just got a message saying it was up to date.

but i uninstalled the driver, and then re-connected the n900 at which point it started charging normally and windows popped up the explorer notification.

no idea why it worked, but it did work, thank you.

Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post
cheers.

i do have one warning, but nothing to indicate whether it is the n900 or not:
my guess is that would be it, but a registory problem, they are a ***** to fix, hmmmmm when i get home from work ill do a little research for you.

and FYI - dont be a n00b and copy and paste commands into the Terminal with out knowing what it doe's and what you'll need to do to correct any problems.

Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post
that did the job, thank you.

updating the driver just got a message saying it was up to date.

but i uninstalled the driver, and then re-connected the n900 at which point it started charging normally and windows popped up the explorer notification.

no idea why it worked, but it did work, thank you.
awesome!!!