Active Topics

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Hey guys. if you would like to know my experience with the n900 device or are deciding if to purchase it, have a read.

N900 After 3 months of use & wear/tear issues - My thoughts on the device

My n900 was delivered to me on the 12 November 2009. I won it through the first contest Nokia held. I don’t have a body skin but I use a screen protector. I am currently on 3.201.02 firmware.
http://blogs.nokia.com/nseries/2009/...-2009-awarded/

Pros:
-The n900 grows on you day after day. Nokia were right in saying it gets better over time.
-In Australia as the device is very rare, people just want to play with it as everyone else has an iphone and no one has heard of the n900.
-Coming from Symbian The Maemo OS is confusing but I will never ever go back again.
-The Web browser is amazing. It’s very fast, every site works like on desktop browser, plug-ins can be used and you have a mouse. SOLD
-Community apps which grow everyday and are amazing. There is pretty much almost an app to do anything to your phone. I have nearly installed everything in the app manager. I just saw an app to turn off the red focus light and focus during video recording.
-Closed and open OS platforms. Jailbreak the iphone and it will be wonderful. Hack the n95 and it’s wonderful. But to have an OS to be fully open out of the box is just astounding. You literally can do whatever you won’t. You won’t understand unless you own a n900 and play with it. You are the master it of what you do and your part of an amazing community supporting each other.
- hoping for an OLED screen but I would rather the LCD panel used on the n900 for all my phones. The LCD screen is amazing for viewing in direct sunlight. Suck that OLED
- I can type really fast and type while driving which I doubt captive on-screen keyboards could do since your eyes can’t leave the screen. I do have fat finger and no problems.
-FINALLY. Fast USB transfer rates.
-USB charging which I use all the time.
- IR port is back and I got a TV remote again.
- The notification light.
-The screen is Very crisp with its high resolution and amazing quality. Got a few iphone friends to try and see if they can see the pixels.
-Play movies without converting them. Let’s see your iphone guys do that?
- I have dropped the phone a few times and once it skid 3 meters on a concrete floor with very light scratching, simply amazing body.
-Change the OS
-Over the Air firmware updates. Very cool
-The amazing community

50/50:
-Battery lasts usually a day give or take a few hours. I do understand why Nokia couldn’t put a bigger battery.
-kick stand is good but. If you push on the right of the phone it will full over.
-No xenon flash. I came from a n82 and that feature hurt going back to LED flash. But I use the LED as a very bright torch which has sold me. Get the app in the app manager.
-when people ask to see what phone I have this is what I get asked “is that the new N97”
-The device is thick. Either you love it or hate it. I don’t mind as it does feel like a super mini netbook then a phone.
-No multi-touch. But you have hardware keys. Try typing while driving on a iphone?
-landscape as default. I personally prefer it that way. More PC like

Cons:
-Bright spot on the LCD
-When tapping on the top right of the screen there is a little creak but only when the device is open.
-keyboard is getting a little stiff when sliding up but not to noticeable.
-when the device is open and you squeeze the bottom of the device there is a little creak
-slider is lightly scratching the device
-LCD screen is super absorbent to scratching worst I’ve ever seen. YOU ARE INSANE NOT TO HAVE A SCREEN PROTECTOR
-OVI store.....................hmm what store.
-Random people who try to use the phone have absolutely no idea on how to use it. Even my boss was confused.
-Nokia tends to release firmware which is still a work in progress. Nokia needs to try more field testing before release.
-the phone is rare and unique but the other side has less support. How can you compete with the iphone?
-No MMS. Yes I used to be one of the people to actually use it. Shouldn’t need a app for that
-Still some problems with some exchange email services.
-can’t arrange menu. Hope to see this changed one day.
-Jittery UI in some aspects. Needs more optimisation.

Conclusion:
What can I say? The n900 feels like a Politician as it has made me you very angry, amazed and upset very quickly. I have not experienced a phone like the n900. The n900 is based on landscape orientation which is NOT a problem for me as it is not a phone. I call it a phone just for historical reasons. The n900 is a mini computer and a Swiss army knife. Its true evolution

You can sit in bed for hours surfing the net doing little tweaks, learning...... The list goes on. I don’t play many games with the n900 but you don’t need to, to have fun. With the n900 it feels like a blank piece of paper you customise to your liking, you decide how things display or work. It feels like a real PC you can just play with and find new things hiding and amazing, just like a ally way coffee shop.

The n900 is amazing for me but it’s not for everyone, which are most people in the world. I have not met a single person who worked out how to use the n900 without me giving them a quick lesson. The n900 does not really have a big app store like the iphone does. If you’re after a device to read your emails, play some huge 3D cool looking FAD games, have a huge range off apps and just want to look cool then the n900 is definitely not for you. You will get upset and disappointed. There is no doubt about it, Just get an iphone.

The sad thing is the iphone app store does have 120,000 apps where as the ovi store has pretty much nothing. This is causing a lot of confusion. How many people do you know after getting over the excitement stage of a new device/apps really still play that amazing complex 3D FAD game?? Not many as people will just get over it. In the future when everyone is over the FAD applications and nokia has developed better services we will see how the market will change again. For now the world simply needs to be educated and get over the phase there in from the fast moving phone industry. I always get asked by iphone users ”does it have multi-touch” when I reply ‘no’ the n900 gets very low scores. But why would I want a device where I can only use skin?? or not use mp3's as ring tones?? lol. I want to be able to use anything to interact with the device and do anything. I sharpened my stylus the other day so I can get 100% accuracy when I use it. People will get smarter and wiser about technology and realize soon freedom/openness is more fulfilling then being told what to do, what you can use and what you cant do.

Short conclusion:
N900 love it or hate it, It’s what you make of it and discover. But you can’t force it onto anyone, they have to see if the love is there themselves. My love is definitely there and open source IS the future.

Last edited by felbutss; 2010-03-06 at 10:10.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post:
Dude... You shouldn't type while driving

Good post, I got mine only 4 weeks ago, still discovering something new and cool every day. I hope it continues.

The Following User Says Thank You to thearcane For This Useful Post:
agree with Pros and 50/50..

but many of cons r incorrect..I havent these:

-Bright spot on the LCD
-when the device is open and you squeeze the bottom of the device there is a little creak
-When tapping on the top right of the screen there is a little creak but only when the device is open
also this is not important to me:

-No MMS. Yes I used to be one of the people to actually use it. Shouldn’t need a app for that

OR

-Random people who try to use the phone have absolutely no idea on how to use it. Even my boss was confused.

so as u see cons list become short and shorter and really this device is ROCK...no important problem to me and Im very very happy with this...

like my old N95 8GB

Last edited by Mazi; 2010-03-06 at 09:55.

As far as any hardware problems go i have had no problems with my N900 that was bought mid December. I'm using invisible shield screen protector so i don't know how my screen would look without one.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
i dont use a screen protector.... i m using a soft case form fitbag... i have it 1 month.... and it looks like new.....

The Following User Says Thank You to ~phoenix~ For This Useful Post:
My wife has been using a 5800 for just over a year now with no screen protector and there are no scratches whatsoever on the screen. The rest of the phone is an entirely different matter, however.

What exactly is that screen surface made of that it can take so much and still look like new? I'm working on the assumption that my N900 screen will be just as durable, so doing without a 'protector'.

Originally Posted by Andrew_b View Post
My wife has been using a 5800 for just over a year now with no screen protector and there are no scratches whatsoever on the screen. The rest of the phone is an entirely different matter, however.

What exactly is that screen surface made of that it can take so much and still look like new? I'm working on the assumption that my N900 screen will be just as durable, so doing without a 'protector'.
Heh my a bit over year old 5800 screen is full of scratches, but no sign of use on the body. I usually buy 2-3 phones a year and N900 is a first one i bought screen protector because of 5800.

Thought if the screen would be capacitive i wouldn't even think of buying screen protector looking at my Omnia HD, ipod touch first gen and Zune HD that don't have a mark.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
Originally Posted by tissot View Post

Thought if the screen would be capacitive i wouldn't even think of buying screen protector looking at my Omnia HD, ipod touch first gen and Zune HD that don't have a mark.
off topic -
how are you liking the zune HD? I was(and still am) waiting for a 64gb version to come out, havent played with one yet. but i do have the 2nd gen black 80gb got it when it first came out in nov. 07 i believe.

>Try typing while driving on a iphone?

I think it's easier than drive-typing on an N900, at least the iPhone goes portrait!

>I always get asked by iphone users ”does it have multi-touch” when I reply ‘no’ the n900 gets very low scores

The way I won an iPhone advocate over was by opening up Sketch at a party and we played pictionary on the N900..
"I wish my iPhone had a good app for that"

Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
off topic -
how are you liking the zune HD? I was(and still am) waiting for a 64gb version to come out, havent played with one yet. but i do have the 2nd gen black 80gb got it when it first came out in nov. 07 i believe.
It's really good device. I can honestly say that the media player is best there is as old ipod touch and Archos user. UI eye candyness and most of all fluidness is level above ipods. Plus the music quality is better(especially stereo separation that imo has been never that good with ipod touch).

Zune HD is best example of AMOLED screen i have seen compared to Omnia HD or Nexus one.

As far as media player goes i can't think of better device, but as far as app and browser goes it's no contest compared to ipod. I was looking just that so i have been really happy about Zune even after paying 54 euros for customs for the device

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post: