Notices

Good afternoon, list. I'm not able to connect with my OSX VNC servers. I suspect an auth problem. In the connection screen I enter the IP of the server and the display, and get a message telling me that the 770 cannot connect to the server. The format I use is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:display. I'm able to connect to the server with my powerbook, so I know the server is working.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

What is VNC (haha?)?

edit (after a trip to google): oh, thats pretty cool

edit edit: OMG this is awesome.

Last edited by Robette; 2005-12-30 at 02:54.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by watchdoc
Good afternoon, list. I'm not able to connect with my OSX VNC servers. I suspect an auth problem. In the connection screen I enter the IP of the server and the display, and get a message telling me that the 770 cannot connect to the server. The format I use is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:display. I'm able to connect to the server with my powerbook, so I know the server is working.

Thanks!
Are you using the built-in remote desktop/VNC in Tiger? I haven't tried that one, but I am using OSXvnc, and am able to connect with the 770 perfectly. I have been able to access this server software from pretty much any of my machines, even my Treo 650, without any problems...all I did was load the app, click "start server", and I am up and running on the 770

http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html

The only thing I had to do originally was enable forwarding for port 5900 on my Linksys router...did you try enabling that port on your router?

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
I wish I could add more, but wow... I've used VNC before at work - usually in distain - but this is something else. I was able to connect to my XP SP2 desktop with 2 minutes of setup.

(sorry, I don't mean to trash VNC. It's just when I use it, it's usually because my customer is a useless idiot who needs to be guided through every prompt)

Even my girlfriend was impressed seeing my TabletPC's desktop controlled by the 770.

Excellent work! Now once I have a decent IMAP client I can do most of my work at the bar ;-)

Brad.

Originally Posted by Joohan
Wonderful step forward but lacks one mayor thing. When writing through vnc onsdagen my windows xp, it won't accept זרו. It seems not to register the characters at all.
Thanks for the bug report. I was able to reproduce the problem and fix it, and the fix will be available in the next release.

Aaron

AaronL you are my God This is exactly why I bought the 770. I just took control of iTune on my Powerbook and send some music via airport express to my living room hi-fi. I previously was using Browser tunes through the 770 navigator but man what a difference VNC make !
Thank you, thank you.

PS : is the rendering a bit slow because of the 770 technical limitation or can this be fix by a software upgrade ?

Manu

Orbitalcomp - thanks for the reply. I've tried both OSXvnc and the built-in Tiger server, with the same result. Since I've been able to connect to the server with my powerbook, I doubt that the problem resides in the router.

Could you tell me how you got connected? For example, did you use the gui that is built-in to the vnc app, and if so, what did you enter into the "Connection Details" box? Or, did you use the command line in xterm?

Thanks again.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles
Anyone know how to emulate ctrl-alt-del using the keyboard? I found once I connect to a locked windows machine I can't login cause I need that sequence to bring up the login/password box.

Originally Posted by watchdoc

Thanks!
hi,
i tried this yesterday on my osx 10.4.3 g5 and it worked fine. make sure you've got remote access enabled on the 'sharing' system preference, and that you click advanced and enable vnc access.

(Edit: i used the built-in vnc server, entered the ip address onto the vnc client on the 770, and it only asked me for a password - no username required.)

good luck..

Last edited by Lui-G; 2005-12-30 at 11:59. Reason: adding info

I got this running on my Ubuntu machine last night following the steps in this link.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45565

But, While it let me connect and log in, I think I have some settings off. I could log in under a new logon screen but not take over the user's session that was logged in.

Not a huge deal, it did work but it was late and I was tired so I went to bed.

Rendering is a tad slow as people have said.

-Todd