Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
No, there is no "evidence" that anything has been changed.
Unless Nokia has a very, very large parts bin (meaning they stock enough motherboards to last 2+ months), as of Jan 21s they had not changed the design at all.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake grinding the prongs on my cables. Potentially I've increased the amount of time until my usb port fails. If I happened to extend it too long, my port (which was likely to fail during the warranty period) may now fail outside the warranty period. If that happens I'm SOL, and really screwed myself.

I won't consider this issue resolved until there is some kind of official resolution for devices that have this flaw and fail outside of warranty.
Yes I have the same concerns but the warranty period is two years (at least in the Netherlands), so that is a long time and you can perform the epoxy method after the warranty expires. But it is annoying to even have to worry about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to bousch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I dread to think how much worse this problem may become as devices age over the lifetime of the typical 18-24 month UK phone contract - I do hope Nokia don't try and refuse repairs once the 12 month warranty has expired, as it could get very messy and drive customers away.
Should be a 24 month warranty in UK (well, in all of EU).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Screen popped off about a week ago - almost as if their was space in-between where the bezel sits on top of the glass allowing the glass/plastic or w/e the material is to slide off.

One minute I'm typing on the phone the next minute the screen popped out.

Didn't mess with it, immediately got on the phone and called Nokia support who sent me an overnight UPS label. Two days later I get a call telling me that my phone cannot be repaired and even though it may not be my fault it would cost me $275.86 for parts and labor to get it repaired Here I am thinking that the extra year warranty that I in addition to the year I already have would take care of the problem but nope, Nokia still want's to charge me out the ***.

Had them re-overnight the phone back to me - was wondering wtf I was going to do with it, maybe sell it on Ebay for spare parts but just for the hell of it, I called Amazon (even though the return date ended on the January 31st) to see if they could do anything. Amazon stated I could still return the device only as long as it was defective or broken due to manufacturing error/quality control. Sent the phone to Amazon, they stated I should get my full refund within two weeks.

I noticed early on when I got my phone that the screen would make clicking sounds (I know other people on forum also have the same issue) whenever you slightly pressed down on the screen.

Anyways, that's the gist of it and the problem that's going on.

-Socrates 469 BC

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spinnukur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by bousch View Post
Yes I have the same concerns but the warranty period is two years (at least in the Netherlands), so that is a long time and you can perform the epoxy method after the warranty expires. But it is annoying to even have to worry about it.
I will likely epoxy once my warranty is up, but I shouldn't have too

I don't think Nokia is worried about the N900 18-24 months down the road. They'll likely be on step 6 of 5 (or step 1 of ? for meego). The N900 is of course step 4 of 5

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
IMHO Nokia need to step up their customer care in the current market. If they want the meego range of smart phones to be seen as the indispensable tools they should be then they need to recognise that a week without your phone while they fix and apportion blame is just not acceptable.

Loathe to mention the big A but the attitude at Apple stores is a somewhat different experience. I have witnessed first hand my friend having issues with his iphone not charging and was given a new replacement on the spot. No questions.

Clearly if a device has clearly suffered abuse then there may be an issue but otherwise replace and replace straight away. You will then keep customers for life.

I have not had the use of my N900 for 2 days now and it is a big inconvenience to me, more than i expected. This is compounded by worry that Nokia may try an blame myself for the fault. It is not a good position to be in and does little to inspire any brand loyalty.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
IMHO Nokia need to step up their customer care in the current market. If they want the meego range of smart phones to be seen as the indispensable tools they should be then they need to recognise that a week without your phone while they fix and apportion blame is just not acceptable.

Loathe to mention the big A but the attitude at Apple stores is a somewhat different experience. I have witnessed first hand my friend having issues with his iphone not charging and was given a new replacement on the spot. No questions.

Clearly if a device has clearly suffered abuse then there may be an issue but otherwise replace and replace straight away. You will then keep customers for life.

I have not had the use of my N900 for 2 days now and it is a big inconvenience to me, more than i expected. This is compounded by worry that Nokia may try an blame myself for the fault. It is not a good position to be in and does little to inspire any brand loyalty.
i feel your pain this is now nearly my second full week without my n900 i took it to a local care point was told it needed to go to nokia i got it back from care point backed up data then UPS collected monday afternoon and now im staring at my repair staus every couple of hours to see what going on.

had to go out and buy a phone as i couldnt not have something to text and call with even if it does get repaired under warranty i have a good mind to bll nokia for my PAYG phone(using my contract sim in it) £30

they could have made everyones life a hell of a lot easier and clearer if they stated clearly on the nokia website that it was a known fault and all would be repaired under warranty instead of this "case by case" attitude they got going on

i also think the worst part of all of this is that there is no word from nokia to say they have improved design or have corrected fault whats to say that in another 2 months it wont break again

this whole situation is making me wonder whether i will buy nokia again have been a fan and used nokia phones for the last 7 years next time round i have a feeling i may go with someone else

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddwwf1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Just an update.

Becky from Nokia phoned me just now.

They are sending me a replacement phone tonight. Should be delivered to my work address tommorow.

They stated that the phone is sent to them from Nokia finland to replace warranty stock. I get the impression this means a refurbished phone.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:
For those that do get their broken N900's replaced, please provide us with an update re whether or not you got a new or refurb unit so we know what to expect.

Im on the saem boat HumanPenguin,
Here was my update yesterday
"A replacement Nokia N900 device, serial number xxxxxxxx, has been shipped for your original Nokia N900 device, serial number xxxxxxxxxxx, under Nokia's replacement program."

Im still on the fence about selling it the minute I get it back if i dont see any changes in the design. I cant keep it if I kno in a few months the female lead will pop out again.

UPDATE: Im supposed to recieve the phone today and I will update you guys on the build and see if there were any changes made.

Last edited by ArmandHammer; 2010-03-03 at 14:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArmandHammer For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty