Posts: 89 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
The legal status of the EULA is very different in the US and the EU. In the US the EULA is concerned more as a contract whereas in the EU it is followed more as guidelines. Some consumer rights protects the european consumer as well. For instance Kindles EULA was declared a partial nullity since it broke some consumer protection rights.

And here in Finland I am allowed to decompile any software I bought if I feel that I need to improve the software, and copy it to my family and friends. Even if the EULA states otherwise.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by daddeddad View Post
The legal status of the EULA is very different in the US and the EU. In the US the EULA is concerned more as a contract whereas in the EU it is followed more as guidelines. Some consumer rights protects the european consumer as well. For instance Kindles EULA was declared a partial nullity since it broke some consumer protection rights.

And here in Finland I am allowed to decompile any software I bought if I feel that I need to improve the software, and copy it to my family and friends. Even if the EULA states otherwise.
That's quite a big difference.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
The legal term for Piracy will change over time due to politicians wanting to use it to portray an agenda. In this case the agenda that copyright infringement is some kind of evil act. (I agree it is)

But this agenda is set by lobbyists paying governments.

But the use of the original term is not as far away as we would like to beleave.

The whole idea of plundering ships at sea was not looked on negatively by the British government. It was indeed encouraged.

What was illegal was doing so without a privateering "Licence" from the government and paying the government their share for doing it.

So Piracy is not plundering goods. It is plundering goods without a licence.

Still.

"Avast me hearties give us all your swag"

EDIT: Of course the British only wanted to licence people doing it to enemy ships.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Paris, France
Piracy is not theft. It is illegal gift.

A pirat is someone who bought a software legally, and who distribute it illegally to other people, for free.

It's illegal because he was supposed not to do that, according to the EULA.

But still, illegal gift very much doesn't sound like theft.

Is it justified ? I don't think so. Not at all. If you agreed to the end-user licence, then you gave your word, and you have to stick to it. So I do not justify piracy.

However, considering that to me the whole idea of non-redistribution policy is just stupid, I will never throw the first stone at a pirat.

Last edited by azorni; 2010-03-03 at 12:30.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
If you're looking for a purely ethical view rather than a legal one, then an alternative to consider is the four freedoms espoused by the FSF (and others). If you accept that ethically a user of software should have those freedoms, then anyone supplying software that doesn't respect them is the one acting unethically, not the user that attempts to exercise their freedom regardless or attempts to restrict it.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@ewan: sure, but then you just sidestep and avoid those programs which eula/rules you don't agree with.

It doesn't give any justification to pirate (give or receive free copies of the license).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Google is your friend. This is simply the first hit

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/piracy
American specific reference only so therefore not international and technically not English but American definition (ooh the flames are coming!)

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I think it is just a matter of time and patience. For example students do not have the money to purchase expensive software's like adobe. So they try to find a cracked version on the internet. But finding a cracked version and making it work seamlessly is not easy. It needs a lot of time and patience. Most of the students have that but do not have adequate money to buy the software. Vice versa business professionals do not have the time and patience but do have money. For them time is more precious than the actual software so they buy it.
If you don't have the time to purchase it then you should find another way of achieving the same end. The whole point of software is to provide a service that saves you time and effort.

Originally Posted by Lazarpandar View Post
Remember Jesus' miracle of multiplication, in which he had a handful of bread and fish and made thousands of copies of them and then distributed for free to thousands of people? Replace "bread and fish" with "Software" and there you go. Piracy.

If anybody gives you crap about piracy they're really just saying they hate Jesus.
Well if you take the analogy to the same degree as before then as Jesus is supposed to be God (Trilogy) then technically he was owner of the original work (Creation) and therefore able to provide free samples!

Arguement is irrelevant - sorry!

Originally Posted by devaler View Post
I also hold the copyright on fire, so everyone who lights a match without paying me is stealing.
Prior Art - sorry lol