Active Topics

Notices

Amazing work guys. Thank you so much! This is going to be a killer app. It's very fast now. I can't wait for the side ways version to be released.

Have you guys found a fast way to load all your programs into x48? Command line via kermit is just too tedious for the amount of software I have.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Anunakin

Thanks for the deb. This was one of the things I was missing on my N900. I've only played with it a little bit, but it seems to work.

Horizontal is fine, Vertical doesn't work right, goes off the bottom of the screen.
Attached Images

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Thanks for the deb. This was one of the things I was missing on my N900. I've only played with it a little bit, but it seems to work.
Nice, I'm going to have to try this out.

-jkq
Agro ... : [***-------] Relic(s) : N900

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Anunakin

Horizontal is fine, Vertical doesn't work right, goes off the bottom of the screen.
You probably want to wait for the deb from ElectricLungfish who has spent a lot of time turning the app on its side http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=20 Can't wait!

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I had 6.1 running on my N800, but it wouldn't work on the N900. I'm just happy this one does. But waiting to see it on its' side.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
OK, here it is: x48 on its side. It now runs in fullscreen mode, and I have rotated the SX display as well. I've merged in anunakin's changes and have tried to improve the Maemo integration by adding desktop and Application Manager icons and by adding an informational window that lets the user know that a ROM dump is required.

Note that I did not retain the capability to run using the normal orientation or the netbook mode. For this reason I've named the package x48-sideways to avoid confusion (though the executable is still named x48). If somebody wants to merge these versions of x48_x11.c and lcd.c with the normal ones and add a command-line option to switch between orientations -- be my guest.

Remaining issues: getting the calculator to be centered on the screen; modifying the XShm code (anybody who knows how to do this is welcome to take a crack at it); and testing I/O and memory card features (which I have not done). Also, the HP48 display occasionally blanks on me for no apparent reason. Pressing CANCEL brings it back, but it's annoying. I'd be interested in hearing whether others experience the same behavior.

Anyway, enjoy, and do let me know if I broke anything I haven't mentioned.
Attached Files
File Type: deb x48-sideways_0.6.3_armel.deb (107.4 KB, 485 views)
File Type: gz x48-sideways-0.6.3.tar.gz (440.2 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by Electric Lungfish; 2010-02-28 at 05:05. Reason: Quick fix: realized that I had made a small change that messed up alignment of menu buttons in GX mode. This is fixed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Electric Lungfish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Electric Lungfish View Post
OK, here it is: x48 on its side. It now runs in fullscreen mode, and I have rotated the SX display as well. I've merged in anunakin's changes and have tried to improve the Maemo integration by adding desktop and Application Manager icons and by adding an informational window that lets the user know that a ROM dump is required.
I didn't see an obvious way to quit, now that it is fullscreen.

Note that I did not retain the capability to run using the normal orientation or the netbook mode.
Bummer. I was hoping to have both modes.

For this reason I've named the package x48-sideways to avoid confusion (though the executable is still named x48).
Note that it'll fail to install if you already have the x48 package installed (at least it did for me).

Pressing CANCEL brings it back, but it's annoying.
I vaguely remember that the HP48G (and I'd bet the other models too) had an option to turn itself off after a while to save battery. That's probably what you're experiencing.

-jkq

Originally Posted by jkq View Post
I didn't see an obvious way to quit, now that it is fullscreen.
On the N800/N810 there is a "home" button to the left of the display; if you press that you'll get the window list, and you can easily switch back to the desktop or kill the application. I don't have an N900; does it have a similar hardware-based way to switch back to the desktop?

I'll look into making the off button close the window. It does when I run x48 on a "normal" computer; I'm not sure why it doesn't here.

Bummer. I was hoping to have both modes.

Note that it'll fail to install if you already have the x48 package installed (at least it did for me).
I wasn't completely sure at the outset what I would need to do, so I didn't try to retain the normal mode. However, it's a straightforward matter to merge the normal draw instructions and bitmaps back into the code and add a command-line argument... just tedious. A simpler alternative might be to rename the executable so that there's no conflict with the normal package.

I vaguely remember that the HP48G (and I'd bet the other models too) had an option to turn itself off after a while to save battery. That's probably what you're experiencing.

-jkq
I thought about that possibility, but it happens when I'm in the middle of pressing buttons. Possibly the battery-save feature is being triggered accidentally. Let me know if you encounter it too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Lungfish For This Useful Post:
Amazing work ElectricLungfish! This has been on my wishlist since day one. I had to uninstall x48 before x48-sideways installed. If I remember right, the screen blanking is due to the automatic turn off timer of the calculator triggering faster because the emulator running faster than a real HP48. I've noticed fsimp hangs when turning off the LCD to run ~10% faster. Haven't tested this with other programs that disabled the LCD while calculating to improve performance.

Centering would be nice, but maybe bigger Emu48 like buttons would be better:

Thank you to everyone who chipped in on this project.

Last edited by st5150; 2010-02-28 at 06:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to st5150 For This Useful Post:
On the N800/N810 there is a "home" button to the left of the display; if you press that you'll get the window list, and you can easily switch back to the desktop or kill the application. I don't have an N900; does it have a similar hardware-based way to switch back to the desktop?
Yes. Ctrl-Backspace does the equivalent of the "home" button on the N8x0.

I'll look into making the off button close the window.
Personally, I'd prefer a close 'button' in one of the corners. I don't mind the close on off, though.

I wasn't completely sure at the outset what I would need to do, so I didn't try to retain the normal mode. However, it's a straightforward matter to merge the normal draw instructions and bitmaps back into the code and add a command-line argument... just tedious.
That's good, I suppose. For me, having the non-vertical mode is important so I reinstalled the original 0.6.3 from earlier.

A simpler alternative might be to rename the executable so that there's no conflict with the normal package.
I suspect you'll have to rename everything that is installed to prevent conflicts.

I thought about that possibility, but it happens when I'm in the middle of pressing buttons. Possibly the battery-save feature is being triggered accidentally. Let me know if you encounter it too.
st5150 also thinks you might be seeing the auto-off, so the close button might be safer.

-jkq