I'm really interested in running KDE on my n770, but I have some questions first.

Is it really usable or is it just a proof of concept kind of thing? I'm leaning toward the latter, but would love to hear otherwise.

What would you say is the minimum size memory card I would need to run KDE? I would definitely be willing to strip out some of the extra stuff (if that's even possible IDN).

And last, does running KDE mean I will have to reflash, or is it run over the standard ITOS? I've been looking around for this, but can't seem to get a straight answer.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I can only answer your final question: KDE sits on top of the IT OS, so no reflash should be necessary.

Ok, cool. The thing that sucks is that I only have access to a 512mb card right now, so I either have to get a bigger card or figure out some other way.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by thecompkid View Post
Ok, cool. The thing that sucks is that I only have access to a 512mb card right now, so I either have to get a bigger card or figure out some other way.
Well you will need at least 1GB to run KDE. If you were to mount a remote folder on /usr/local and untar kde it should be possible to run KDE from a remote share.

I am running from flash, with an 7GB partition on /usr/local

Wow, how ironic. I just got my 2gb rs-mmc in the mail (Thank god for eBay ) and am literally right in the middle of installing KDE. Now that's Murphy's law in action.

Attempting to install KDE has been nothing but an experiment in frustration for me. Every time I go to untar the KDE archive onto the root of my MMC-booted 2006 OS filesystem, I run out of space before all the files unpack. I really don't get it. I should have more than enough room on my 1.25gb partition. I'm thinking that the issue is really where the KDE.tar is. I put the file on a 750mb partition on the same card. Do I need space on the partition where the source file is?

But I have another question that I am more interested in anyway. Can I perform this complete process on my desktop Linux box? I recall hearing something about unpacking a FIASCO image and setting up a boot mmc without even touching the 770 (aside from installing the boot menu, of course), but I am not really sure if this is possible. If it is, I assume it would be a rather trivial task to then unpack the KDE tar. I apologize in advance if i'm just spewing complete crap, mainly 'cause i'm just going from a rather vague memory .

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by thecompkid View Post
Attempting to install KDE has been nothing but an experiment in frustration for me. Every time I go to untar the KDE archive onto the root of my MMC-booted 2006 OS filesystem, I run out of space before all the files unpack. I really don't get it. I should have more than enough room on my 1.25gb partition. I'm thinking that the issue is really where the KDE.tar is. I put the file on a 750mb partition on the same card. Do I need space on the partition where the source file is?

But I have another question that I am more interested in anyway. Can I perform this complete process on my desktop Linux box? I recall hearing something about unpacking a FIASCO image and setting up a boot mmc without even touching the 770 (aside from installing the boot menu, of course), but I am not really sure if this is possible. If it is, I assume it would be a rather trivial task to then unpack the KDE tar. I apologize in advance if i'm just spewing complete crap, mainly 'cause i'm just going from a rather vague memory .

Well if you have a 1.25GB partition you should be good, and no you do not need space on the 750 partition.

Anyway, I do not think you can unpack the files from the image. You can unpack the Fiasco image and get the rootfs, but I do not know what format it is in, not sure how to unpack it? Once you copy the nokia files to the card, you can definetly do the rest in an desktop with a card reader.

here's what i did:

partition 800mb for fat, 1.2gb for linux on my 2gb kingston

do all the neccessary things to get dual boot working

plug my tablet into my ubuntu box, mount 1.2gb ext2 partition, untar/bzip kde onto the 1.2gb partition from my linux machine.

boot to second partition, start kde, woohoo

Okay, maybe i'll try it out again today. I need something to help me get away from all this iPhone craze.