Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Pejman View Post
How about search function? Any plan to include that in final release?
There is a technical delay in the search function that is included -- the site that they use is undergoing changes and the method for searching won't be available for a month or two, the FBreader folkperson told me.

I would rather they made FBreader download from Gutenberg.org, but they have chosen not to do that so far, so apparently we will just have to wait.

Fortunately, the program Mgutenberg works fine and is available for the N900 right now; it works well in conjunction with FBreader so us lazy people can relax.

A short update on the FBReader status:

1. I am currently working to eliminate battery drain caused by the timer that ticks when the on-screen clock is enabled.

2. The transparent full-screen icon has gone opaque again starting with PR1.1. Also, it has become much harder to tap scroll pages starting with PR1.1. Disabling the full-screen icon makes tap scrolling work again. Qwerty12, could you take a look at what is going on with that button one more time? =)

3. I have done some research on how click detection works in FBReader. It is way more complicated than one would expect. Among other things, enabling "finger only tap scrolling" does nothing as Maemo cannot differentiate between finger and stylus taps. Will probably just remove this option from the Maemo version to avoid confusing people.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
look forward for the update. There is no day without me using fbreader .

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Did I mention I've been reading my legitimately-purchased Kindle books on the FBReader? Yes, after using the unswindle program and Kindle for PC to help get rid of the drm. Sometimes it's more convenient for me to read on the N900 than on the Kindle.

How is FBReader development going,anyone know? It's been a few weeks since we've heard anything new.

The fbreader.com site says that

"FBReader 0.12.7 for Linux/Windows computers and SmartQ devices is released (March 5, 2010)"

Does that mean anything to us N900 folks?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Hello All!

I have uploaded the new version of FBReader (0.10.7-11) to the Extras-Testing. This version fixes the battery drain incurred by the status bar clock. Please, vote for it here:

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...der/0.10.7-11/

Yes, you SHOULD vote for it if you want to see it in Extras. Thank you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
thanks, Upgraded mine and voted.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
That's because the feedbooks API has been changed. New feedbooks API is used in 0.12.* that will be released for maemo platform in February 2010.
I am still having problems with searching on Feedbooks, or believe I am as I would expect "Marx" to return at least one book... ;-)
http://www.eff.org.

Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
I am still having problems with searching on Feedbooks, or believe I am as I would expect "Marx" to return at least one book... ;-)
My guess is that FeedBooks API is still down.

don't know if it's a bug or not but now that i've updated to PR1.2 fbreader takes 10-15s to load a book when it only used to take 1-3s. needs to be recompiled with 1.2 sdk autobuilder? i'm not a dev so i i could be talking out my a** lol.

just a fyi

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by sierrafoxtrot View Post
don't know if it's a bug or not but now that i've updated to PR1.2 fbreader takes 10-15s to load a book when it only used to take 1-3s. needs to be recompiled with 1.2 sdk autobuilder? i'm not a dev so i i could be talking out my a** lol.

just a fyi

Seeing the same here (and previously on leaked firmware). Just tap the screen and it will go to the book without waiting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post: