Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
That's pretty much why Apple is at the bottom of the list, for me. I love Nextstep/OSX, and I typically love their products (though, the lack of full BT stack, and lack of options for physical keyboards, on the iPhone&iPodTouch are big mistakes, IMO), but their attitude over the course of the last decade has gone from "embrace openness" to "lets go back to being close minded arrogant bastards". Early 2000's: "Think Different". Late 2000's: "Think Steve's way".

They could wow me, especially if their tablet (if it even exists) is more based on Mac OS X (open application ecosystem) instead of iPhone OS X (closed application ecosystem). But I'm not counting on it. So, they're on the list, but only at the bottom of the list.

The HP, eDGe, and ICD tablets make the list because they're _close_ to what I want, but I haven't seen enough about the HP and ICD tablets to make me think that they're going to be exactly what I want (esp. since I'm pretty sure they don't have pixelqi displays). And, of course, I know which ways the eDGe comes up short. I'm mainly keeping them on the list just in case the Adam doesn't live up to the expectations they've created for themselves. If that happens, then I have 2nd/3rd/4th choices to consider as well (without having to rely upon Apple to save the day).
Yeah, those are pretty much my feelings as well. However, it seems to be good for their bottom line, as they're doing quite well at the moment. Still, I'm really impressed that they're market leaders in terms of design: they set the pace to a wide degree. It seems that their units are thought through in meticulous detail whereas other companies seem to just throw features together and ship (not all others mind you, but many).

In addition to an open ecosystem, I would like to see a swappable battery! This is unlikely to happen given their latest moves, but such a useful feature to extend the life of a system. Of course, if the life was sufficiently long (like 12-16 hours), this would be less of a concern. Still, it's nice to be able to replace the battery at will.

}:^)~

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
It would be nice if OS makers in general got that screen orientations should be fluid and universal, instead of assuming only 1 or 2 such orientations. But, I have yet to see anyone support that (last time I looked, which, admittedly, was a while ago, even the iPhone doesn't allow full 360 bidirectional rotation of the screen). So, my expectation is that the Adam wont do it either. I don't know of any Android device that does. There is 1 device orientation for Portrait, and 1 device orientation for Landscape.
Strangely enough, the N900 does seem to do that with photos. You can rotate it upside down and still see it properly.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Strangely enough, the N900 does seem to do that with photos. You can rotate it upside down and still see it properly.
Also ATI handles this as a matter of course for their graphics cards. I don't know why I'd ever want my desktop to display upside down or sideways but it's an option.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
I don't know why I'd ever want my desktop to display upside down or sideways but it's an option.
Some publishing companies and such seem to like having portrait orientation "full page" displays.

Question - Is the Notion Ink Adam a candidate for Meego?

The website isn't specific about what OS it will run.............

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I use a Cybook Gen3 as an ereader and have been tracking Pixel Qi since they started. The Adam will definitely be my first Android device.

so it is still a confirmed android device?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Yes, it's an Android device. They are/were working on a custom UI for it, and it'll have an Android version of Firefox (supposedly). But, otherwise, it's a conventional Android device.

No idea how hard/easy it will be to swap the OS out with something like MeeGo, Mer, Ubuntu, vanilla Android, Chrome, etc.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
The video on Gizmodo has me all salivating over this Adam Tablet... I just ordered a new laptop but I am actually more excited over a gadget that will only show up half a year from now than about my laptop. But the overall look of it, the camera, the screen... I don't care which OS it will run, Android seems like a very good choice really... I want!!!