Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Discussion = definition. Best to define the poll parameters thoughtfully.
Oh I didn't mean to slap up a poll today. I am for a healthy discussion but not for a few guys to go away with it for a few months and come up with what they think is the best options for the community. I say flush it all out in open discussion - then vote.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-02-18 at 22:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I see some issues with that;
- Moblin/current MeeGo is developer oriented, if you want to attract Moblin users (MeeGo users coming 'from Moblin') wouldn't you end up in a situation where they come through the door and see all these people with a lot of 'internet rep' already accumulated from 'some other site'?

- is there an equivalence to maemo.org account on the moblin side?
Please note where I said both maemo.org and Moblin organization accounts.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Please note where I said both maemo.org and Moblin organization accounts.
I know, please note where I said:
"- is there an equivalence to maemo.org account on the moblin side?"
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I know, please note where I said:
"- is there an equivalence to maemo.org account on the moblin side?"

http://moblin.org/

http://moblin.org/
Thanks. I'm apparently blind

I am against it.

Not really , just wanted to say that.

Back to the topic, I think karma should be calculated in different way than it is currently with maemo (Like excluding posts/thanks from karma or reducing its value might be better for the long run for meego community). Also, I suggest to give power for moderators to reward people whom doing great works for meego. Like giving some one 100+ karma as a bounce for his work rather than letting people posts 1,000,000 times on the forum about ridiculous duplicated subjects to earn "thanks/karma". In other words, I am suggesting a controlled karma.
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Does the Karma system need a value?

Really. Qgil, you, the Admins, Mods, Nokia, Intel or someone else can Rank a User the way you want. Thanked posts, bugzilla, and so one. It's not so important.

But like the MHz Value on a Prozessor or the MegaPixel on a customer digicam. When users get involved more and try to help each other because of advancing their karma stocks the system is worth and does what it should do.

Pay the users in Points for helping each other! (it's simple, but it works in some ways)

Hmm... could we have here a kind of ultimate social network game?

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Believe or not karma/activity metrics encourage participation/activity, that's one of the reasons for the success of some social web services, they have a metric system that encourage some kind of competition, there's a couple of interesting studies that prove that.

In my opinion the gains of a karma system are bigger than the losses, so yes, we should have some similar concept.

PS- For those interested in these topics about social interaction in the web, like me, here's a cool presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/stephenpa/...dea-09-version

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
So really, before thinking of pushing the concept of karma to meego.com I invite the Maemo community to think if we really want to do this, and for what reasons.
(+1 on the entire post). Also, if maemo.org karma were to vanish tomorrow would we lose anything important?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Why not just a poll about it and let the members decide?
No need for groups, brainstorming, etc - just vote.
Consensus is superior to tyranny of the majority.