Active Topics

Honestly, yes it was a bug... but I had found one that was really causing security issues I would have report it right away... That one was just a light beer... That one was just to put some casual games online man... nothing serious...

Like I said, if people feel its "inexcusable, and cause SERIOUS threats to security and integrity of data", let the mod take it out... its ok... Me I just want to continue doing games for the device that's all...
http://n900.sio2interactive.com

Originally Posted by sio2interactive View Post
cyeung: So create a decent process for people to be able to create commercial apps on the platform... Only commercial apps will make the platform go forward as it will get the attention of developers...
The idea of using PayPal for payment and unlocking the full version is good, my point is that blowing through a QA process is not. Where I work, blowing through QA gets people fired.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cyeung For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
one thing is sure after this: i wont be touching sio2interactive software even with a flag pole....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Honestly, yes it was a bug... but I had found one that was really causing security issues I would have report it right away... That one was just a light beer... That one was just to put some casual games online man... nothing serious...

Like I said, if people feel its "inexcusable, and cause SERIOUS threats to security and integrity of data", let the mod take it out... its ok... Me I just want to continue doing games for the device that's all...
if you just want to continue doing games, you have to respect the rules that are the exactly same for everyone. your excuses are ridiculous and with those you have ruined your reputation for whole your life in my eyes.
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Here lies one of the biggest difference between open-community versus commercial entity...

Many of the posts here are based on personal opinions and personal preference, sometimes without regard to the long term interest of the platform itself.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by EzInKy View Post
You do bring up some interesting points, even if it they are only two coppers worth B-)
Feel free to think that way. But please allow me to think differently.

This could be a symptom of something bigger though, such as the clash between the Linux and Windows worlds.
Word! You might just have pinpointed the reason for the whole N900-"apps" thing missing a leg. What would you think being the reason for e.g. the iPhone being such a hype if it would not have all the (yes, payed!) applications available for it? Yet another mobile phone (YAMP) - no more no less.

They (Editor's note: Apple) found a way to both satisfy end-users and developers by selling all those tiny apps for little money. The one side won't bother spending a buck or two on a useless app while the other side gets their royalties by each click straight.

This won't mix to well with the open-source minded maemo clientel though. At least what I can read from most of the postings on this thread...

Call it a guess, but making iPhone users blindly paying $29.99 for another useless app is a piece of cake compared to convincing us N900-nerds to pay a single penny for even a fully grown office suite.

In Linux free means "use and share", non-free means "use but don't share", and commercial means "use but pay up". Nobody cares if SIO2 depends on financial returns to continue development, they only care that they are upfront about it.
If "paying" will keep up their(/his?) good work I'm perfectly fine with it. I'll gladly pay for applications if they're worth the money. Everybody has to decide individually how much that'd be in absolute numbers though. Just feel free to not buy it ;-)

is there seriously no way that this whole issue could have been handled privately?

There's a whole load of forum posts where people are blamed for spreading FUD (forum acronym of the moment), trolling etc, and otherwise giving the N900 bad publicity, and here we have one developer who's trying to bring commercial apps to the platform and he's being roasted over community coals. This community is currently the only way of bringing anything to the N900, and we are publicly and actively discouraging it. Have you seen what's Hot and what's Fresh in the downloads section? most of those apps have been there since christmas. So what's happening gents, apart from nothing much.

I'm not suggesting what SI02 did was the right way to go about things, but he should have got a private slap down rather than this public one. Surely we need to encourage people to work on the N900, not push them away.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Freemantle For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
If "paying" will keep up their(/his?) good work I'm perfectly fine with it. I'll gladly pay for applications if they're worth the money. Everybody has to decide individually how much that'd be in absolute numbers though. Just feel free to not buy it ;-)
http://liqbase.net/fundingsupporters.html

that tells its own story about people who are ready to donate for a good cause.
Google Custom Search

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA

I found a way to upgrade your games for free!

Should I:

1. Post the exploit here for all to use?

2. Quietly report the bug to you in hopes that you will reward me somehow?

3. Start an auction on E-Bay?

4. None of the above.

... just wondering.

SLN member # 009

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Portugal
I am no pro but i think that both sides have a point.

I kind of liked the games and i was surprised by the quality of them (being independent and all). They show quality and work.

I am aware of the process to bring an app into Extras. It's a solution and avoid lot's of troubles.

In this case, yes, someone found a flow and exploited it but thank god it was with good intentions. But thanks to that now we know and someone can fix it.

I think that we should implement some kind of rule that allow developers with approved apps to put more easily new apps on Extras without having to go through the entire process of approvoal. I am not saying that we need to jump some steps, i just think that we don't need to look as deep as usual.

If i made a succesfull app and i created another (using the same engine or being similar to a previous approved app) i should be able to put it in extras fast. Without that, developers will not lose their time to create something new and original since they have a lot of chances to wait long weeks for approvoal and by the time, they lose time and money and don't feel confortable to program something new and it will be more easy for them to go to the "Apple Side" of the force

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sinetype For This Useful Post: