Active Topics

Notices

Title says it all. I'm looking for an ebook reader for the NIT that also has epub support. I looked up FBreader, but it doesn't list epub support anywhere I could find.

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
From http://www.fbreader.org/docs/formats.php

At the moment we consider ePub as one of two most important formats. The second one is fb2.) FBReader supports all the main features of this format except the tables. CSS support is not full.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Title says it all. I'm looking for an ebook reader for the NIT that also has epub support. I looked up FBreader, but it doesn't list epub support anywhere I could find.
Fbreader DOES have epub support, but the last I checked, the crappy version made available on this site doesn't give it -- you have to go to the Fbreader site to get it. It works fine on my N800/N810.

By the way, you say that you looked up FBreader -- on its site I found the following statement:

"epub At the moment we consider ePub as one of two most important formats."

Last edited by geneven; 2009-08-28 at 04:10.

I looked up fbreader via the maemo site, not its homepage.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
I installed FBreader from the Maemo repositories. It works, though there is one really, really odd bit.

If I start FBreader and add an epub book (converted via Calibre) it doesn't show the beginning, it starts part way through with no way of getting to the beginning. But, if I find the book via File Manager and double-click it, then pick FBreader, it works just fine. I have no idea why, and I've tried this a couple of times with the same results. Same file, same reader; different start, different results. Go figure.

Just thought I'd mention this if anyone else has experienced this oddity.

David...

I'm really disappointed by the ebook software available for Maemo. FBreader is pretty lame, given its lack of support for CSS and its other shortcomings. And yet, it's the only game in town. Oh, if only iSilo would come out with a Maemo version!

I've seriously contemplated rolling my own. Epub is nothing more than XHTML and CSS with a little added metadata, wrapped in a ZIP file. Seems like it wouldn't be *too* much work to make a reader based on WebKit, or maybe XulRunner. (You could almost use an existing browser as-is; the biggest problem is that it doesn't remember your position on the page.) Unfortunately, I already have too many side projects going on.

Originally Posted by Chelloveck View Post
I'm really disappointed by the ebook software available for Maemo. FBreader is pretty lame, given its lack of support for CSS and its other shortcomings. And yet, it's the only game in town. Oh, if only iSilo would come out with a Maemo version!
There is CSS support in fbreader, but it never got fully ported over to the Maemo version, although there is at least some css support in the latest maemo version. The windows and linux versions render it all just fine.

I've seriously contemplated rolling my own. Epub is nothing more than XHTML and CSS with a little added metadata, wrapped in a ZIP file. Seems like it wouldn't be *too* much work to make a reader based on WebKit, or maybe XulRunner. (You could almost use an existing browser as-is; the biggest problem is that it doesn't remember your position on the page.) Unfortunately, I already have too many side projects going on.
It's not as easy as it sounds. An epub isn't necessarily a single html file - it could (and frequently is) split across multiple files. Also, fbreader does a good job of rendering the book on a line-by-line basis, rather than rendering the whole page. It makes bookkeeping for the reader a lot easier, as well as making it easy to keep memory usage low.

Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
It's not as easy as it sounds. An epub isn't necessarily a single html file - it could (and frequently is) split across multiple files.
Having multiple HTML files inside an Epub file isn't a problem. You just treat the Epub as a directory tree of files -- HTML, CSS, images, whatever. It doesn't make the problem any more difficult.

As for memory usage... Yeah, that's a little trickier. Having "War and Peace" as a single HTML file might be kind of taxing. I admit that I haven't looked into WebKit to see how it handles large files. At worst, though, you could break the HTML into smaller temp files and render them independently.

I'll have to see just how much of CSS is supported by FBreader these days. It's been a few versions since I've tried to do anything with it. I have been using FBreader for Epubs and agree that it's usable in its current state. CSS support would make creating my own books from scratch much, MUCH easier!

Oh, if only iSilo would come out with a Maemo version!
Oh great, yet another proprietary format for ebooks. No thanks.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
I'll stick to my Jinke Hanlin V3 eInk device running Openinkpot and fbreader for reading books. Atleast it doesn't hurt my already strained eyes.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils