Active Topics

Got an N810.

Would like video-enabled VoiP calls through Skype.
Don't really care about Mer as I don't believe there will ever be a steady release so I would rather see new Diablo hack-releases.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nottingham
* I have a N800 (Used daily to catch and play video and audio podcasts, then listen when away from wifi).
* I'm interested to see better mplayer performance on my device
* I'm willing to contribute with python/shell/c code
* If i had more time would happen, I would then be able to do more contribution
* if a SSU occurs, I'd fall off my chair.
* if an n800 failure occurs, I'd buy a newer tablet but not the n900 as the screen is too small.

* I have a N810

* I'm interested to see and use Mer on my device

* I'm willing to contribute with Mer, but my freetime has shrink to a minimum of hours per week in the last year.

* If a new operating system would happen, I would then be able to use more my N810 for general purpose than to just watch movies. I would also love to see a new onscreen keyboard.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Austin, TX, USA
I own a N810, a N800, and a WSOD N770.

Used primarily around the house as mobile surf stations.

Not interested in:
  • 3D acceleration

Interested in:
  • Re-vitalized development, not sure about Mer vs. updated Fiasco image
  • More focused communication for the remaining flock of N8x0/N770 users - a separate Forum might be a good idea
  • A close look at Android - whether we like it or not, the developer base for our devices is not going to grow much. Assuming we can access the Android market, we'd have access to a much bigger community

Able to contribute in:
  • testing

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Lansing, MI, US
I currently use an N810 in a variety of roles, including e-book reader, light web surfing, simple games and email. I also use the PDA functions daily, including GPE/Erminig for calendar and Contacts/Syncevolution for contacts.

I would like to see: Continued development of Mer. What I don't want to see is this device abandoned, as there is really nothing comparable on the market still. Having a more integrated PDA functionality would be great also.

What I would be willing to do: I am a garden variety user, not a coder so offering to write code is a bit beyond my skill set. I would be willing to do user testing and support for others.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Queens, New York
Just want to start by saying I am a cynical person by nature, but my many years experience in the IT industry do give me some fairly educated and realistic expectations and insight into what is likely or not likely to happen.

* I have an N810

* I'm interested to see and use Mer or any other growing OS that will open up avenues for developers of the latest applications to run on my device. I am also interested in some more flexibility, especially the ability to replace the OS, file system and all applications onto the larger storage media built-in.

* I'm willing to contribute with testing anything that is worked on, including applications and OS builds.

* If any of the aforementioned would happen, I would then be able to continue using my N810 instead of finding its usefulness dwindle more and more by the day.

Please understand I really love what has been accomplished but there's no way I will upgrade to an N900, not because I don't want to get farther in the abilities my tablet can offer me, but rather because I think it has become predictable what will happen. The next product will eventually come out, and it will be incompatible with previous products, and therefore the same cycle will happen again - developers coding for the latest and greatest, but unfortunately nothing can run on the earlier product!

I have spent the past 6 months looking around for useful applications for my tablet. Recently I started to find many new apps hit the scene and I was so happy to see them until I discovered they're only for N900 and that they cannot run on my N810. The same handful of products are available for my N810 as had been a year ago and absolutely no further development has been made for my N810. Anyone who is developing is doing so for the newest, and the N8x0 are left to collect the dust.

I fear this will happen again with the N900 once Nokia comes up with something new. The reason being if everything developed for the newest product could also run on the older models, they cannot extort the community into buying their newest product.

I think you'll likely see a huge number of users move over to the IPad and whatever competing products arise on the market.

As much as I am fond of the open-source nature of this device, the fact is most of the applications I have from my old Windows CE devices still run on my latest Windows Mobile 6.5. Despite the fact that its all about money in the closed-source industry, at least I don't face extinction with every new OS version the way it is with this device. Really a shame because open source should be as backward compatible as possible, and instead I see tons of apps available for N900 that cannot be run on my N810.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DanielT For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
I have a N810 (and a N900)

I'm interested to see and use Mer on my device. Why? It would be (way more) up-to-date concerning libraries (and perhaps even constant kernel improvements), allowing e.g. more modern web browsers to pop in, not to mention having upstream in your hands. Also, mapping is a nice hobby I have, and N810 has proven to be more faithful in that (Maemo Mapper 3 alpha on N900...not worth trying).

I'm willing to contribute with testing, translation, and should I be blessed with enough free time, even coding/porting/debugging.

If Mer+N810+Qt+GLES would happen, I would then be able to develop mobile Qt applications for one more device (read: I would develop to N900, and make sure it works with combination mentioned before).

I'd love to help Mer with my moderate coding skills and interest for FOSS, but my time is being spent in college and work ATM...

I have an N800, would like to see

GPU acceleration

Better browser performance

updated Adobe Flash 10.1 support

camera flip bug on n800 fixed

more easy to update SSU's

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I'm personally wondering what you would like to see happen on OS and community side for your devices.
* I have a N810

* I'm interested to see and use a backported Maemo 5 on my device

* I'm willing to contribute with a number of small financial rewards for incremental steps along the way. (Think beer & pizza, or a new bike light)

* If backporting would happen, I would then be able to only look for applications one time.

I miss the N810's screen, but don't want to try and keep up the two OS versions at the same time. Without this work, my N810's destination is to become an audio input to my stereo. With this work, it's likely to be used more widely.

Last edited by Alan_Peery; 2010-02-17 at 07:10. Reason: Better quoting, making it clear it's my N810 that may be stereo bound. :-)

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by DanielT View Post
I have spent the past 6 months looking around for useful applications for my tablet. Recently I started to find many new apps hit the scene and I was so happy to see them until I discovered they're only for N900 and that they cannot run on my N810.
And this is exactly why we need a back port of Maemo 5. Any attempt to incrementally upgrade apps on the Maemo 4 platform is swimming against the tide. I'd like to include both the N800 and the N770 but I don't think the N770 inclusion is realistic given what I remember of the hardware specs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810