Active Topics

This is the complete Q&A from todays 12:00-12:15 Twitter chat regarding Maemo and MeeGo. They answered about half the questions:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...371#post529371

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bahrain
Here you go!
LG GW990 Will Become an Intel MeeGo Phone

The Following User Says Thank You to agogo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
... I can't recall any posts describing what Moblin itself brings to the party.
(That is, how is it better apart from adding x86 support?)
A very peculiar side effect that I alluded to in my opening statement is that the Intel/Moblin team is expected to manage the core/kernel development and support of the potentially largest(-shipping) platform of ARM-based mobile devices!

While Nokia's (ex-Maemo) UI+Tools team has no motive for sabotaging usability on non-Nokia devices, Intel OTOH has a glaringly obvious motive in sabotaging Meego's core ARM-support in various ways, including ignoring or late inclusion of ARM-platform patches or favouring x86 in low-level architectural decisions...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
A very peculiar side effect that I alluded to in my opening statement is that the Intel/Moblin team is expected to manage the core/kernel development and support of the potentially largest(-shipping) platform of ARM-based mobile devices!

While Nokia's (ex-Maemo) UI+Tools team has no motive for sabotaging usability on non-Nokia devices, Intel OTOH has a glaringly obvious motive in sabotaging Meego's core ARM-support in various ways, including ignoring or late inclusion of ARM-platform patches or favouring x86 in low-level architectural decisions...
That is why it is a good thing that MeeGo is Free Software. They can't hide their changes from other interested parties.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
where is the problem with a conversation, which convinced me, that it's a good thing happening at the moment?
you don't have to share my opinion, you don't have discuss with my cat, so where is your problem?
Saying "you had a conversation" without any details at all...is as valuable as me talking to my dog.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Saying "you had a conversation" without any details at all...is as valuable as me talking to my dog.
maybe I WAS talking with your dog^^
but that doesn't matter, I never said with whom I had this conversation. Also I never gave any relevant details of meego or the maemo future. So?

The point of my post was to state, that after knowing more facts about meego, I'm more confident, that this is a good thing for the maemo community.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Yes, they said that Meego will support multiple hardware platforms and that just simply has to include ARM considering that they basicly listed every possible kind of mobile device from phones to in vehicle devices.

EDIT:
From Ari Jaaksi's blog:

It’ll run on X86 and on Arm based hardware.
Am I right in thinking, if it's open source, it can be ported to any hardware? I'm thinking even those processors coming out of China used in the phone clones.

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
That is why it is a good thing that MeeGo is Free Software. They can't hide their changes from other interested parties.
Sure, there could always be an alternative or community-based "MerGo" distribution or few, but the Intel/Moblin team is still in charge of the official, supported MeeGo platform.

Just yesterday I came across a new-fangled edition of Android which was released by some enterprising pseudonym-using russian hacker. Some XDA-based hackers/crackers (no disrespect intended) will load it no questions asked, as will a few unwashed newbies, but personally I'd be very wary/aware of potential foul play.

Same uncertainty principle will apply to most unsupervised variations on the MeeGo theme, meaning that the Intel/Moblin team — as managers of the platform core — will still wield major control on the ARM side support and development of MeeGo.

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
maybe I WAS talking with your dog^^
but that doesn't matter, I never said with whom I had this conversation. Also I never gave any relevant details of meego or the maemo future. So?

The point of my post was to state, that after knowing more facts about meego, I'm more confident, that this is a good thing for the maemo community.
I don't think you understand. So no need to carry on.

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Sure, there could always be an alternative or community-based "MerGo" distribution or few, but the Intel/Moblin team is still in charge of the official, supported MeeGo platform.

Just yesterday I came across a new-fangled edition of Android which was released by some enterprising pseudonym-using russian hacker. Some XDA-based hackers/crackers (no disrespect intended) will load it no questions asked, as will a few unwashed newbies, but personally I'd be very wary/aware of potential foul play.

Same uncertainty principle will apply to most unsupervised variations on the MeeGo theme, meaning that the Intel/Moblin team — as managers of the platform core — will still wield major control on the ARM side support and development of MeeGo.
Really? And did they release the source with it? No? Then its not really ... and here is the important phrase ... OPEN SOURCE. See the word SOURCE there combined with the word OPEN. Comparing someones bundled up android release (Which I should point out, is partially open source) to a true Open Source Linux is like comparing apples to porcupines.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war