I am wondering if it is possible to be connect to a wifi access point without disconnecting from the 3G network. When I am at home i would like to be able to access local resources through wifi, and switching the connection plays havoc with most applications (x-chat, pidgin, etc). I want the default gateway to still be the 3G connection, with the wifi network just available as another network.
I am not afraid of getting dirty with things since I have plenty of linux experience, but mostly wondering if anyone else has done something similar or would have suggestions for a good starting point.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to merkur2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
I don't know... yet. As part of a R&D project we are developing a prototype to show in a few months time. The chosen platforms for the mobile device are Android and Maemo, and to be able to use both a gprs data connection and a WiFi one at the same time is an essential requirement for what we want to do.

When we find out how to do it, I will tell you (although I don't know if it will be practical enough for and end user).

Greetings.

The Following User Says Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:
I am wondering the same thing.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
I was just about to ask the exact same thing!
I would only need wifi for access to some things on my own or work network. But just like you I'm having trouble with e.g. IM-services that don't really need to change from 3G.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ France
Same question!

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I am sure it is possible.
At least similar things used on this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...005#post520005

You can ask there how to do it....

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
LOL i'm using them both all the time.

no you aren't, the screenshot shows me that you're connected to wifi only

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
Originally Posted by adalal View Post
no you aren't, the screenshot shows me that you're connected to wifi only
Oh, he mean't to use 3G to access the internet... Sorry, i misunderstood.

i suppose the first post can be misleading, but what I think he tried saying is to stay connected to the mobile AP and the WiFi network simultaneously

Tags
simutaneous 3g and wi-fi