Active Topics

Originally Posted by jlu View Post
It might be that Wayfinder is not very interested in replying to you (quote from http://www.wayfinder.com/?id=3985)
Another quote from that page:

These products are now no longer available:
[...]
- Wayfinder Navigator for Internet Tablet
So it seems that you can't even pay them to renew the licence. Considering the quality of the app and the freshness of the maps that's not a great loss IMHO, but it still sucks for those who found it useful.

Maybe lobby Sygic for a Diablo version?

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ São Paulo-Brasil
Anyone know some app like wayfinder ?For navegation offline with voice...

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I think that the closest alternative to Wayfinder currently on the N8x0s is Navit, although it requires a bit of work to configure it correctly and download the maps. There are various threads regarding navit on the the N900 and the N8x0s, and a good wiki article. Google is your friend here. I am going to have a play at setting it up and see what it's like as a wayfinder replacement.

For day to day commuting I tend to use Maemo Mapper as it has the Google (and VE) traffic overlays, which is useful although in my part of the world only the Motorways are covered.

Since Wayfinder are discontinuing the product, it would have been nice for them to offer updated perpetual licences to people who have purchased a licence. Mine is set to expire mid 2011, but I'm concerned it may die sooner if it cannot contact a licence server.

It's a shame as I quite like wayfinder. I have been running recently in parallel with a Garmin Nuvi, and wayfinder has better and more accurate voice prompting, and does seem to be quicker. with updated maps, and traffic info reinstated iot would still be a great product.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
It's a shame as I quite like wayfinder. I have been running recently in parallel with a Garmin Nuvi, and wayfinder has better and more accurate voice prompting, and does seem to be quicker. with updated maps, and traffic info reinstated iot would still be a great product.
You and I are probably then just about the only ones to like it. Part of it is the (native) Finnish voices which I really like. I purchased a Navman S70 a while ago since I thought that I'd use it as a Bluetooth handsfree. The Finnish voices are too machine like and I have used it very little. I wouldn't like to get yet another disappointment again. With Wayfinder I know what to expect.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jaark View Post
Regardless, if your maps application says 'Wayfinder' then it will expire, probably sometime this year. If you still have a valid license it shows you the expiration date somewhere on the about screen. I suggest you check that so you can get prepared and not left in the lurch like me.
You are right, the about dialog shows that my license expires 2010-05-11. Damn! Should have noticed this before.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ São Paulo-Brasil
There's no way to turn wayfinder to work without the server??

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Oakville, Canada
This thread is a very interesting read - for a couple of reasons:

I have an n800, n810 and now the n900 (not really relevant, but couldn't resist mentioning that)

1) Anyway, when I bought the n810 and realized that the internal GPS was garbage - I immediately went searching for the Navicore kit. I weighed my options:

a) Buy the license (36 months) via wayfinder
b) Search for the Navicore kit with the assumption that the license would be perpetual.
c) buy a garmin

The cost for option a) wasn't very attractive, and the garmin would mean that I have two devices. Option b) was appealing because the BT puck was good quality and it came with a car mount. Plus I saw it on ebay for $80US shipped.

Before I pulled the trigger, I emailed wayfinder and ASKED them if I would subject to the same 36 month restriction even though the Navicore license was perpetual.

My correspondence below:

"Hi Robert,

And thank you for your interest in Wayfinder Navigator. The license key
in N800 Navigation Kit is perpetual, independently on the application
version that it is used with. Therefore you are able to purchase a N800
Navkit and use the license in N810 without being limited to 36 month
license term that the new licenses have.

Best regards,

Jussi Koski, Wayfinder"
If they have changed there policy, I would like them to dispute this email correspondence.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Oakville, Canada
I also found my first message to wayfinder asking for clarification:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: den 22 december 2007 05:41
To: Dan Haneklint
Subject: Wayfinder / Navicore

Hi Dan,

I appreciate your speedy replies. I do have one more question if you
have the time:

If I were to purchase a Nokia N800 Navkit and use the license key that
is included in the package to unlock the turn-by-turn navigation from
the maps application on my n810, would I be subject to the same 36 month
term that is currently the time period If I buy through wayfinder?

I have used the Nokia LD-3W bluetooth GPS unit, and it is exponentially
better the the built-in GPS on the N810. If the license isn't subject
to the 3 year term, it might be a more cost effective solution. I am
surprised that Nokia went in this direction, I don't know how they can
compete in this market if you compare the alternative to spend $50
dollars more for a garmin or tomtom.

Cheers,
Bob
Again, I think that I was very clear in what I wanted, and my response WAS exactly what I wanted / expected to hear.

Cheers,

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
For day to day commuting I tend to use Maemo Mapper as it has the Google (and VE) traffic overlays, which is useful although in my part of the world only the Motorways are covered.
That situation can be remedied amazingly quickly by GPS users in that region. The only reason any particular area has good coverage in Open Streetmaps is that people mapped some roads and uploaded them.

Of course, this will not happen in your area overnight. But it will never happen until someone starts.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by fath0m View Post

My correspondence below:

If they have changed there policy, I would like them to dispute this email correspondence.

Hope this helps.
I did the same thing, got the Navicore kit in Dec 2008 and mine has expired, I didn't even get three years from it!

Rich