Active Topics

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
If I plugged Fuji my camera (self powered battery or mains) into the USB would I be able to navigete it and copy the pics?

This would be ideal for emailing pictures home while on holiday.

Not tested as my camera has a large USB & N800 small USB so I would need to buy an adaptor.

Many thanks

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by kudos1uk View Post
If I plugged Fuji my camera (self powered battery or mains) into the USB would I be able to navigete it and copy the pics?

This would be ideal for emailing pictures home while on holiday.

Not tested as my camera has a large USB & N800 small USB so I would need to buy an adaptor.

Many thanks
No.

You're welcome.

To the point but what I needed to know, many thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to kudos1uk For This Useful Post:
There are some rather experimental patches out that would allow you to do this, but they're notoriously bad at USB disk transfers.

There are, however, devices that retail sub-$100, essentially a hard drive with a card reader and a very basic UI. You could theoretically use one of these to pull data off of your xD card and then push it on to an SD card, whereby you would be able to read it on the N800. Somewhat easier than carting around a laptop, but these devices usually require external power.

I purchased my N800 for this very reason - travel and digital images taken with a camera that I can email soon after taking the pics. I have to take two different paths, depending on the camera being used:

1. Canon SD600 - SD Card. Basically take the card out of the camera, slot it into the N800, copy them over to the internal SD Card, and send them when a Wi Fi connection is located.

2. Canon Digital Rebel - Compact Flash. The way I'll have to handle this is to take a Compact Flash/SD Card dual reader with me, and find a PC to make the transfer from CF to the N800's SD. No big deal.

I've also purchased 2, 4 and 8Gb USB sticks that I'll offload pics/content onto while traveling - again, will need a PC, but I don't see that as an issue.

What I am still looking for is a photo web site/N800 FTP capability so I can easily transfer my pics in bulk to some storage space, rather than have to rely on email. I'm a Webshots user, but the upload interface isn't ideal when you have many pics to upload using the Opera browser.

Originally Posted by bexensol View Post
What I am still looking for is a photo web site/N800 FTP capability so I can easily transfer my pics in bulk to some storage space, rather than have to rely on email. I'm a Webshots user, but the upload interface isn't ideal when you have many pics to upload using the Opera browser.
I have a cool option for this.

I just bought a WD World edition NAS drive. With this little baby, and with the use of a weblink I can save my files back to my home from anyware in the world. I can also allow family to log into the drive and download the files & pictures in the shared area.

All this with no software installation, just a weblink.

I just bought a WD World edition NAS drive. With this little baby, and with the use of a weblink I can save my files back to my home from anyware in the world. I can also allow family to log into the drive and download the files & pictures in the shared area.

Excellent! What's the link? Don't mind if I borrow yours, do you...? ;-)

Originally Posted by bexensol View Post
Excellent! What's the link? Don't mind if I borrow yours, do you...? ;-)
Check this out:
http://www.wdc.com/en/flash/MyBookWorldDemo.asp

On Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000MSVNM4

WD info:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=279

And here is a big discussion we had on it, in the end I allowed one member to download a picture from my NAS as he would not believe it could be done without software and you will read he downloaded it fine.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57632

Last edited by kudos1uk; 2007-06-13 at 22:41.

Originally Posted by kudos1uk View Post
I have a cool option for this.

Edit, I take this back, I just tried it for the first time with the N800 and it wont work, it needs Sun Java plugin.