Originally Posted by ajflex View Post
we want maemo6 on nokia n900,
we want maemo6 on nokia n900,
we want maemo6 on nokia n900,we want maemo6 on nokia n900
we want maemo6 on nokia n900, we want maemo6 on nokia n900
Is that to the tune of "All wOrk and no plAy Makes jacK a Dull bOy?"

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
With ALL of my older Nokia/Philips/SonyEricsson/Samsung/LG phones over the past 15 years or so, I never cared or even expected new OS or new funky features to be added to the phone after about first 12 months. Heck, most phones, I never even updated to a newer firmware etc.
Right, you're missing the heritage of this device and what brought it to this point. The cell-phone aspect of this device is being billed NOW as a secondary feature (despite the fact that it initially was being pushed as a cell phone, and they were INTENTIONALLY making sure people didn't call it an Internet Tablet. If this isn't a cell phone, and you're pushing it as a general computing device on par with desktops, laptops or even PDA's, then by God, I do expect it to be supported with updates, patches and a good bonus would be general compatibility with other operating systems too. If it was just a cell phone, then why is it such a crappy phone? In which case, I'd expect they should WANT to update it to make it more attractive as a phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Right, you're missing the heritage of this device and what brought it to this point. The cell-phone aspect of this device is being billed NOW as a secondary feature (despite the fact that it initially was being pushed as a cell phone, and they were INTENTIONALLY making sure people didn't call it an Internet Tablet. If this isn't a cell phone, and you're pushing it as a general computing device on par with desktops, laptops or even PDA's, then by God, I do expect it to be supported with updates, patches and a good bonus would be general compatibility with other operating systems too. If it was just a cell phone, then why is it such a crappy phone? In which case, I'd expect they should WANT to update it to make it more attractive as a phone.
Well put, why doom a phone by not updating it to the newer software. If there is a phone from tha same company but with the bigger and better software no one is going to want to buy the n900 after this future phone is released.
If the future phone with maemo with an all touch screen then wouldnt it make sense to update the n900 so that they could have one touch and one with a full keyboard. I would think that would boost their sales and give them a MUCH better lineup. just my 2 cents.

Last edited by ArmandHammer; 2010-02-08 at 19:06.

Nokia N900 will not be able to get an update or Maemo 6 as Nokia will not let it happen. They always launch new OS with New Device and its there strategy to do business. If N900 will be able to get Maemo 6 update then the sale for Nokia N920 or N** will drop which will be bad for nokia and they would have already thought about it and that is why I think Maemo 6 will not get an update.

I love this phone and am dying to explore more of it. But I am sure there are many Einstein developers who might make M6 tweak and work on N900 as I do not think there will be any hardware issues.(Hope they do not update the OMAP chip)

Cheers

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
rocky, they might put a price tag on upgrading to Harmattan, which might work alright.

I do not think the new Nxxx will be bad sale if N900 has Maemo 6 upgrade. Think of iPhone/iPhone 3Gs. iPhone 3Gs still sold very very good, even iPhone could have OS upgrade. That's because the new service or new software only works on new device.....That's the point.

but if N900 has Maemo 6 upgrade, N900 still could have another benefit. ex: full QT 4.6 base framework (??), full portrait mode, or new home screen ?

But it all depends on Nokia.

I see android is going from 1.6 to 2.1 on the HTC hero - so would be nice of nokia gave us Maemo 6.

My point is why not make a device with better stats: capacitive screen, snapdragon processor,....... Put maemo 6 on that device and upgrade the n900 to maemo 6. Their lineup will be unmatched with two elite devices running the new OS. One with a keyboard and one without.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Neither capacitive screens or a Snapdragon processor imply better stats. In fact, if there was a Snapdragon in there would be *ZERO* chance of backporting Maemo 6 to the N900 as it belongs to a very different (sub)family of ARM processors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Neither capacitive screens or a Snapdragon processor imply better stats. In fact, if there was a Snapdragon in there would be *ZERO* chance of backporting Maemo 6 to the N900 as it belongs to a very different (sub)family of ARM processors.
How so? Accounting for drivers, if you have the proper compiler with an appropriately ported kernel, it's not -that- different. What is it about the Snapdragon that would make it impossible to backport software?

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade