Active Topics

Originally Posted by Munky9001 View Post
Which is very interesting because it moreso indicates their future intentions.
I don't think it says anything about their intentions. In fact, some Google Android devs commented on Linus blog entry above saying that being kicked out of mainline wasn't their intention, and that they are going to try to get the issue resolved.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
Seriously I dont understand why people made a big deal out of Linus using the nexus one. So what if does? He is just one man. ok he wrote the Linux kernel (Thanks) but does that mean very other thing he does or uses becomes gold? About him ignoring all the N900 questions why am I not surprised. That is very LInus. If you know his history you wont be surprised at all

My Blog

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bigbrovar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
I respect Linus and his decision. I think we all should.
He is Finnish and he created linux. He has the right to use a M$ Windoze if he wants.

Google phones are nice and they are linux.

The argument of GNU is not from Linus. That is from RMS.

N900 is great but maybe not ready for him as yet. That doesn't make the N900 bad in anyway. I love my N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amarjyoti For This Useful Post:
Another thing you may want to consider is that Nokia has been mum about future support on the N900.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Linus just commented on the n900. Apparently his Dad has one...
everybody: my dad got himself a N900, so there's one in the family. Don't worry about it, there's room for more than one Linux phone.

I like the Nexus One, maybe I'd like the N900 too. But I certainly don't like cellphones enough to have two.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmj726 For This Useful Post:
If someone goes looking for a phone, I think an android device might be a better fit than the N900.

I wasn't looking for a phone. I was looking for a "mobile computer" that runs linux (and in this case I mean linux as in GNU/Linux, as close as possible to the Linux (again in a broadened sense, not just the kernel) on my desktop).

Also, in the undying words of the Hoff: "I've been looking for Freedom".

I've seen many complaints about missing functionality on the N900. To me, that's beside the point. I do wish that people could be informed about a few things before mistakenly getting the N900:

1: It's not feature complete (some may call that being in alpha)
2: It's not a phone, it's a GNU/Linux computer with a phone (with (for the time being atleast) some catching up to do on the phone side).
3: It's about Freedom and potential.

If one can value these things, one can let go of frustration and follow with delight the progress. In my opinion the N900 is the sweetspot in the GNU/Linux phone space. There is the more Free Openmoko platform on the Freerunner phone, but that's not usable enough, I think. I'm not quite an RMS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mannakiosk For This Useful Post:
Another funny part.
He's finnish, so is nokia

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by hippo View Post
* Still not completely power consumption optimized (I bet he'd hate to recharge it often as we do).
if this is true, you can name at least dozen devices that outperforms battery life with same usage.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
if this is true, you can name at least dozen devices that outperforms battery life with same usage.
I'm sure I could kill all of them just as fast. Except that would require me actually buy them.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
Linus's dad is using a n900 as outlined in his comments

as for Linus not using a n900....

Can someone just get him one??? Let it be a loaner from Nokia for 6 months.

Last edited by 77h; 2010-02-08 at 11:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 77h For This Useful Post:

Tags
linux wars