Active Topics

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
20 reasons why I'm loving the N900

There have been a few people knocking the N900 on here and venting their disappointment that the N900 hasn't brought about world peace and been able to boil the kettle, but I just wanted to respond with what I am loving about the N900.

This is my top 20 things I love about the N900 and the things that I really appreciate my N900 can do nicely for me. These are not neccessarily in order.

1) Web browsing
2) Email
3) Phone
4) Sat Nav (currently sygic testing)
5) Watching my own converted DVD's
6) Music
7) Internet Radio (fav station setup from a shortcut on the desktop. See threads for info)
8) Ebook reader (MGutenburg)
9) Egg timer (Countdown Timer)
10) Laptop tethering (Via Nokia PC Suite)
11) Last FM in the Car (Vagulume, LastFM scrobbler)
12) Games (Bounce, Angry Birds, etc)
13) Useful widgets / Apps (spirit level, 3G/2G Selection, Wifi Switcher, Battery, Currency Converter, )
14) Offline Dictionary (QStarDict)
15) Camera
16) Bible (Rapier)
17) Sleep timer (Sleeper)
18) Calendar sync'd with Google
19) Weather (Foreca Weather)
20) Zoutube
21) Multi-tasking (very important)

Yep, I know, there's 21 now!

Best mobile/computer device I have ever owned!

Better stop now or I'll have to add a whole bunch more.

What do you guys and gals appreciate about your N900?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
glad you like it as much as i do. im just waiting on turn by turn and video calling. i would love it and all of that is on the way half of which has been some what done.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxMurdakillxx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
The phone app isn't as good as it can be. Bounce and Angry Birds are actually the only games that are good. Zoutube is not as good as everyone is saying. Email app can be better. It just displays the emails. If you delete them, it doesn't actually delete the email from the account. Other stuff you mentioned are good and some of them are useful. But the best ones is multitasking and internet radio. And you forgot to mention FM transmitter.
I hope NOKIA sees this post and finally put portrait mode at least in messaging. It's a must.

The Following User Says Thank You to white_ranger For This Useful Post:
I love everything about this phone esp. the web browser all this phone now needs to be complete is flash player 10 update, some more nice 3d games, an app to watch live british channels and maybe a facebook/twitter app not just widget

The Following User Says Thank You to pharaoh92 For This Useful Post:
That's funny, I read the title as "20 Reasons Why I'm Leaving the N900." I look inside and I see "Web browsing" as #1. WTF, I thought, not another troll slap down.

Nice list.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by white_ranger View Post
The phone app isn't as good as it can be. Bounce and Angry Birds are actually the only games that are good. Zoutube is not as good as...(snip - that's enough - you get the idea)
Jeez...I've seen way too much of this...this forum is supposed to be a place to come for help or for meaningful discussion. But more and more this (and user forums in general) are mainly complaint boxes. I understand the natural compulsion to vent frustrations, but why is it every time someone tries to say something positive somebody else just sees it as another opportunity to post their whines?

I'm jus' sayin'...Post whines in the whine threads. There already plenty to choose from. Post questions in question threads. Post positive comments in positive threads. Let something around here keep a positive vibe.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Jeez...I've seen way too much of this...this forum is supposed to be a place to come for help or for meaningful discussion. But more and more this (and user forums in general) are mainly complaint boxes. I understand the natural compulsion to vent frustrations, but why is it every time someone tries to say something positive somebody else just sees it as another opportunity to post their whines?

I'm jus' sayin'...Post whines in the whine threads. There already plenty to choose from. Post questions in question threads. Post positive comments in positive threads. Let something around here keep a positive vibe.
Don't get me wrong, I love my n900, but what's up with the stay positive or shut up!?! If you just wanna jerk off with your phone you don't need this forum at all. I have to say I agree there is a lot of things that are not good enough. It's like paying for beeing a beta-tester (wich I'm happy with), but I guess kind of sucks if your not a geek and expected to get what you paid for

The Following User Says Thank You to tgrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ washington
Entertaining abilities of N900 are pretty awesome, but I think web browsing is not as comfortable as Iphone. Anyway I love my phone

some of the things I really like:

- tv out. Great for letting the kids watch their movies while away from home.
- Skype over wifi. I have a pay as you go plan through TMobile. This allows me to make the majority of my calls without using any minutes. Result: I pay less than $10/month for wireless services. And as a bonus, the pay as you go plan allows me to use m.yahoo.com for free which gets me access to my email as well as news, etc. (yes, I'm a serious cheapskate)
- easy upload of pictures to my Flicker account. I don't even bring another camera with me anymore.
- FM transmitter. Super useful when driving a rental car.
- outlook calendar sync through PC-Suite. My company does not have an external exchange server to sync with but using PC-Suite I can sync my calendar and contacts which is all I really need.

Originally Posted by tgrim View Post
...but what's up with the stay positive or shut up!?!
That's not what he said. He's looking for some self-regulated forum decorum, not censorship. Unlike when child molesters and other violent criminals have to be forcibly removed from the rest of us.

If you just wanna jerk off with your phone you don't need this forum at all.
Says you.

I have to say I agree there is a lot of things that are not good enough.
Do you have to say it, or did you choose to say it? And if you had to say it, did you have to say it here, or are you saying it everywhere, including from the rooftops?

It's like paying for beeing a beta-tester (wich I'm happy with), but I guess kind of sucks if your not a geek and expected to get what you paid for
Again, an opinion you could have expressed anywhere, but you chose here. Or did I miss the part of this thread where I was supposed to file a bug report?

Originally Posted by tgrim View Post
Don't get me wrong,
Sorry, my apologies, maybe I just got you wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
g99 = sfb