Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Why not just installing OpenSSH server, no need for MAD Developer overlay (unless you use MADDE). OpenSSH server also doesn't require extras-devel and extras-testing repos, so beginners are less likely to f-up their shiny precioussss..

Step 1 (assuming that rootsh is already installed): Install SSH Server from extras (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...penssh-server/)

Step 2: If it doesn't ask you to set a password during the installation (it doesn't ask when you install SSH Server & Client package, IIRC), open xterm and type:
Code:
sudo gainroot
When transfered to root shell, type: passwd

Set your password to something secure, the root account is `the GOD user`!

3) To find out your IP you can either type in xterm:
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 | grep inet | awk '{ print $2 }'
Or far easier, install Personal IP Address widget from extras ( http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...al-ip-address/ ) and have it all the time on one of the desktops.

After that, all you need is WinSCP, FileZilla Client, SSH Secure Shell package or any other that allows SFTP connection to your device, for host enter your IP, for user: root. When asked for password enter the one you've set during the installation and/or via the xterm.

Additionally, you can set a password for your user thus avoiding direct root access to the system - procedure is the same as for root, but you'd be setting password to your user so the command should be: passwd user

After that you can log-in using user `user` instead of `root`, from where you can gain root if you need to tinker with system files.

And additional warning: never ever save root password on your machine. Auto-login is extremely convenient way to invite someone to wreck your device. It shouldn't be that hard to type a root password you've previously set on a full-sized keyboard.
Thanks for the advice

I have tried this method (I am running PCLinuxOS though and as such am using the linux version of filezilla)

I just can't get filezilla to connect, I get the following errors:

Status: Connection attempt failed with "EHOSTUNREACH - No route to host".
Error: Could not connect to server
Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is new to me. I have PS3mediaserver running on my machine which I use to stream video etc.. to watch on my TV but thats about as complex as I get!

Many thanks

Kurt

I'm slightly confused as to why you're siggesting "noob" install apps from extras-devel when they can simply install the openssh server and get the same functionality? At least OpenSSH has had some testing done to it and isn't in devel..

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by kurtfhouse View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions? This is new to me. I have PS3mediaserver running on my machine which I use to stream video etc.. to watch on my TV but thats about as complex as I get!
Are you sure that you've selected for 'Servertype' - SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol in the Site Manager of FileZilla client?

SSH/SFTP connects to port 22, FTP connects to port 21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Are you sure that you've selected for 'Servertype' - SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol in the Site Manager of FileZilla client?

Nope, didn't do that

I will have another play

Thanks for the help

Zwer

Worked perfectly, thank you again, its appreciated

Kurt

in FileZilla Client ....
Command: open "root@192.168.0.4" 21
Error: Connection timed out

how can i solve this problem

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Read a post above yours, kurtfhouse had the exact same problem. You need to choose `SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol` as a connection type in FileZilla for your connection.

I don't get this, I'm very noobish. Haven't spent much time with Linux.
I've installed OpenSSH Server and written in the x-terminal.

My problem is that I don't know how to move wiiremote to usr/bin/

"After that, all you need is WinSCP, FileZilla Client, SSH Secure Shell package or any other that allows SFTP connection to your device, for host enter your IP, for user: root. When asked for password enter the one you've set during the installation and/or via the xterm."
- This I don not get at all...
Am I to install these onto my computer or onto the N900? And then what?

Please help!

I've coyped the wiicontrol into usr/bin and I have the icon, but it doesn't start when I press it, what did I do wrong?

I cant connect the phone to Pc through my home wifi
I did the same : install all Openssh client and server.
Creat password by using X-terminal
Open WinSCP and fill out:
host: my IP internet add
Username: root
PAssword: The pass i created for openssh in X-terminal
port: 22 for SFTP
i got access denied when login and continued to get denied when it prompted me to enter password/

Have no idea