Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney, Australia
yep. no google apps. ask@cyanogen.

still, android without google apps is still good? ...right?

Last edited by springah; 2010-02-01 at 03:55.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by springah View Post
yep. no google apps. ask@cyanogen.

still, android without google apps is still good? ...right?
ummm????

No Youtube - No Google Maps - No Android Market Place to download New Apps and a Flash-less Browser???

You tell me . . . . .

Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
ummm????

No Youtube - No Google Maps - No Android Market Place to download New Apps and a Flash-less Browser???

You tell me . . . . .
If they get slingmobile support, then yes.

If you have an Android device it's not hard to add the Google apps to a no apps build (aka Cyanogen.) There are scripts on xda devs for Cyano, so it should just be a case of running one of those.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Yea this definately works and is 100% legal on Google Branded devices . . . as for the N900? . . . lol . . . anyway I read somewhere that the Android Market Place aka App Store would not work on NON-GOOGLE phones . . . something about the IMEM Number on the phone.

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Ok guys, sorry for the wait. Here are the patches I used to get the kernel working for android. I don't have complete build instructions yet, but I suppose you know how to patch files, compile a kernel, etc. I take no responsibility for what you're doing!

I'm still trying to get it more functional, but at least more people can duplicate it now. I'll try to help with any questions.

If you want a packaged android build, check out http://code.google.com/p/rowboat
Attached Files
File Type: gz rx51_android_patches.tar.gz (131.7 KB, 143 views)

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Last edited by bdogg64; 2010-02-01 at 23:59.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bdogg64 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
Ok guys, sorry for the wait. Here are the patches I used to get the kernel working for android. I don't have complete build instructions yet, but I suppose you know how to patch files, compile a kernel, etc. I take no responsibility for what you're doing!

I'm still trying to get it more functional, but at least more people can duplicate it now. I'll try to help with any questions.

If you want a packaged android build, check out http://code.google.com/p/rowboat
Thank you that's great!

One question though, did you manage to launch Android using fanoush's bootmenu? And if you did, what's in your android.item?
I don't really want to flash my Maemo, or boostrap the kernel using the flasher...

Thanks

Originally Posted by P4p4 n0eL View Post
Thank you that's great!

One question though, did you manage to launch Android using fanoush's bootmenu? And if you did, what's in your android.item?
I don't really want to flash my Maemo, or boostrap the kernel using the flasher...

Thanks
I did launch android using fanoush's bootmenu. Here is my android3.ext.item

Code:
ITEM_NAME="Android (external SD, partition 3)"
ITEM_ID="android3"                        
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p3"                                                  
ITEM_MODULES="mbcache jbd ext3"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"                                             
ITEM_FSOPTIONS="noatime"
You're going to have to boot a different kernel than the stock kernel for android to work because of the dependencies. My hope is that these can be built as modules and loaded, but that may not be possible. I will try to package a working filesystem and kernel just for testing.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The Following User Says Thank You to bdogg64 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
I did launch android using fanoush's bootmenu. Here is my android3.ext.item

Code:
ITEM_NAME="Android (external SD, partition 3)"
ITEM_ID="android3"                        
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p3"                                                  
ITEM_MODULES="mbcache jbd ext3"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"                                             
ITEM_FSOPTIONS="noatime"
You're going to have to boot a different kernel than the stock kernel for android to work because of the dependencies. My hope is that these can be built as modules and loaded, but that may not be possible. I will try to package a working filesystem and kernel just for testing.
So, for the moment, you've flashed the phone kernel with the Android one right?
What about the ITEM_LINUXRC option? Doesn't it enable the launching of another kernel?

Originally Posted by P4p4 n0eL View Post
So, for the moment, you've flashed the phone kernel with the Android one right?
What about the ITEM_LINUXRC option? Doesn't it enable the launching of another kernel?
Yes, I've flashed the kernel. I've also just loaded the kernel using the flasher and booted the android partition from there. I'm not sure how to use the linuxrc option just yet.

Closed Thread