Active Topics

nokia would be to stupid not to introduce maemo 6 on N900, specially that all windows mobile , androids and iphones get the updates. if they dont introduce it seriously im not gonna buy any nokia phones anymore, im loyal to nokia. but when i see other companies supporting their product, while nokia keep rushing their products on the market like that , then i have to stop buyin nokia phones, its like when i bought the n96 i was happy with it for a week then they announced n97 WTF, then when n97 was launched good thing i didnt buy it , cuz who bought n97 got screwed, i was happy that i waited for the n900 before realisin this sh*t now.

i think they will m6 will be on n950 keyboardless, thus wont or shudn affect sales too much since keyboard ppl will go for the N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Sigh. ajflex, stop.

It is _already known_ (not a rumor) that the next device will have a capacitive screen and multitouch gimmicks.

And seriously, when the N-series VP actually said that there won't be "Maemo 6" for N900...
Yes there are indicators of a capacitive screen, but can you provide a quote for the other?

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
what I dont understand is that there are many owners (including myself) who are disppointed with Nokia, a fraid that N900 will be left aside in favor of a new Maemo 6 device

maybe it is bad management, but I really hope that they are keepng silent to release good news when they got new updates ready... otherwise Nokia will loose a lot of fans/early adopter. This portion of customer may be relative small, but are very important to influence regular users, developing apps and mods, beta testing for free, etc...

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by DarkFulgore View Post
I would have to disagree with you there, yes its bad they gave ovi maps free for everyone else except the n900, But lets look at the big picture. Maemo 5 is the best open source os i have seen out so far and to compare it to iphone os because of one missing program isnt at all logical.

Now as it stand sygic are working on turn by turn navigation for the n900 and i have to say that program is looking pretty damn good(Alot better then ovi maps thats for sure).

From nokias point of view the n900 was made so that people like us(small time programers) Dont have to wait for nokia or any other developer to make an application we want as we have the tools to do it oureselves. Thats the number reason why i bought the n900 in the first place, come one the iphone didnt even support mms when it came out and it tooks three years to get it, For the n900 it took just over a month and its getting better and better(thanks frals).

The way i see it im thankful that we get an open source os instead of ovi maps(which isnt all that good if you ask me).
I actually agree with both the above posts.

Yes Nokia did release to N900 to get developers in on the Maemo action, but that is no excuse for the Nokia/Ovi written software to plain suck.

The fact so much is open source makes it even more of a poor excuse, as you would expect that to leave more money to be spent working on the closed-source software rather than less. I get Nokia did actually do a lot of work, much of which was paid for by Nokia yet become open source. But still, for the price you expect this device to at least be somewhat comparable to what went before.

I can live with the half assed media player and most other issues (although the 2G not dropping GPRS when a call comes in is a problem) but I am pissed at the poor Ovi Maps. Its the only really disappointment for me about the N900, as why does my friend with a 5800XM get a feature on his cheapo phone that I do not have on my far more expensive device?

If Nokia do not deliver on the N900 I will have serious second thoughts about buying a Maemo 6 device for fear of them pulling the same tricks again. So please Nokia, we deserve, paid for and expect the N900 to be at least comparable to what your cheaper Symbian phones can do. Its pathetic leaving out features because "they will be in the next device" as every change you make to Maemo 5 should be upwards-compatible with Maemo 6 anyway. Its a Linux device, treat it like one. You can backport pretty much anything on Linux to older versions, no excuses.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Its been out a month........Why is it that everyone believes that because the iPhone has 2,000,000 applications that every phone should have near that at launch?

Although I can admit it has its flaws and Nokia has made quite a few mistakes....

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by DarkPand0r View Post
Its been out a month........Why is it that everyone believes that because the iPhone has 2,000,000 applications that every phone should have near that at launch?

Although I can admit it has its flaws and Nokia has made quite a few mistakes....
General complains are not about App availability, but not having Ovi Suite ready after more than a month (even version 2.1 beta doesn't add support N900) is almost as Apple launches an iPhone4 without iTunes compatibility!! The obvious conclusion is that they launched N900 before Nokia was structured to support a non-Symbian platform. Probably a lot of project management faults among the company.... I imagine Maemo development team worked completly isolated from other groups, and now it is also a phone are trying to recover the lost time...

Originally Posted by DarkPand0r View Post

What concerns me is not that the app is not available right after the phone comes out... it's that things like this are being marked for harmattan... not fremantle.

That implies to me that this will not be available to the N900 unless M6 comes available to the N900 (of which I have not heard an official word either way. There is another thread about this where someone claims a VP said in Barcelona it would not be.)

The fact that the N900 has been out 2-3 months and is already getting dismissed is what is concerning... not that the app isn't available NOW (at least to me), but that it just might not be EVER.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
I feel disgusted right now. I spoke to a Supervisor at Nokia in December that assured me that a firmware upgrade to solve things like:
missing MMS
Ability to download all email images as opposed to one by one
would be available at the end of January, today the upper level N900 tech says he has no idea when it will be soon or not until March. The same lack of an answer was given regarding OVI Maps
Essentially he said that since most of their platform is Symbian that they are waiting on Maemo to get the patches fixed etc so they can get OVI Maps and maybe ( a bit maybe) stable N900 MMS working.
Having a new device that is missing such fundamental archaic features like bluetooth keyboard support ect just is lousy (and yes I have tried all the support hacks and mods with no luck so far.)
I think the OVI Map launch just feels like adding insult to injury when a new device, the N900 does not get some type of priority in the support area is bad business. I hope Nokia gets their head out of the sand before they blow this one.

curious, any ideas of system specs for "Harmattan"?
"Eventually, the Internet will be Google, but while they keep churning out the goodies, the actual change-over in ownership will probably pass us by. There are none so blind as those that will not see...." - Sebastian Anthony

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade