Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
PA Semiconductor's 1ghz A4 processor.
So it's basically an ARM on which there can't be any free software developed. Good for Apple, and a continuation of their non-FOSS ways.

$500 for an N900 never felt so sweet.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
It's just a little too big for me - I'd have preferred something under 7" - but I could easily see it sitting in the lounge. Imagine a tie up with a sports broadcaster, you can be watching a game on the TV and have stats and other info streamed to your iPad. This kind of integration will happen, this will become a de facto "lounge" device to be used as an adjunct to watching the TV.

If I had an iPad it wouldn't leave the house - it will be interesting to see how many take the 3G option.
I suppose, but why not just view the stats on your phone

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
A 54 minute doucumentary on Apple fanaticism
http://www.hulu.com/watch/94300/macheads
hope nobody has posted this yet

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
ha i wouldnt swap my n900 for 3 ipads!
noticed on sky news hat nokia didnt get a mention when talking about tablets, and they were talking about 'apps' like they were iexperts, i was putting apps on my n95 before they had even heard the word 'apps'
steve jobs probs just got his n900 and started to flap, so he rushed the ipad out!
(id still ave one for free mind!)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
Interesting idea, and closer to working for me--but not there yet.

OK, I am listening to MP3s. My colleague wanders up, and I pull off the headphones. Do I stop and pause the music, negelecting my colleague? No. This leaves the music running. OK, following our conversation, I dive into work on project A -- not putting my headphones back in. They lie there on my desk, quietly buzzing away. (I don't generally crank my headphones.) Now when a travelling colleague who has only my mobile number in his blackberry rings me. I don't hear it, and project B has a sudden crisis what could have been avoided.

I think we've discovered a third option that some people might want. and the setting does need to be controllable.
Or you can just stop the music. But hey, if you can convince Nokia to add an option I'm down with that, but that's not their style.

The thing is that very few (any?) phones in my experience have ever played the ringtone out of the speakers when headphones are connected, but that is now - bizarrely - what the N900 does and I'm sure it caters to a few corner cases - your corner case - but the reality is that most people will have the headphones in their ears when the call comes in. You quickly learned that when you were no longer listening on the headphones you disconnected the headphones from the socket...

$500 for an N900 never felt so sweet.[/QUOTE]

meee tooo i had an Iphone and i gifted to my cousin xaxa it sucks this will be too

Originally Posted by verhagke View Post
I suppose, but why not just view the stats on your phone
Of course you can do that over the web, but I was thinking more of a tailor made application for the iPad with it's high resolution display. Sure, peering at a 3.5" screen loading web pages will work too, but maybe not as nice.

No flash. LOL.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Honestly, why do people say that if there is no multitasking and no flash, it would fail. The iPhone is doing well, isn't it?
Yes, but this is marketed as a computer, and not a phone. People have different expectations from a computer.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Yes, but this is marketed as a computer, and not a phone. People have different expectations from a computer.
Is it really being marketed as a "computer"? I find that unlikely for Apple, this will be some sort of digital assistant/eBook Reader/Life Planner/etc. - anything but a computer.

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet