Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Erlangen
I just gave it a shot with freedroids-classic. It compiles without any mofifications in the SDK and I can run it on the x86 target. I have no idea how the input is supposed in this Xephyr nested X server, I seem to be able to shoot when i tap the mouse but can't move yet. Also playing ogg files (the theme i think), does not work as i compiled withou libvorbis for testing - which does not matter as there is no sound device available in my SDK anyway. Now compiling it in the ARMEL target and then will copy it over to my n900 to giv it a shot. If that works I'd package it - should make a nice littleproject the get known to debian packages I would expect that FreedroidsRPG, which this thread is about also can be compiled for n900 withou major changes.
Will post here when freedroids classic runs on the n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to greygoo For This Useful Post:
Ok, the game starts fine and looks very well. Even sound works fine. The only problem currently are the controls, it seems to immediatly switch to 'weapon mode', and never is in 'mobile mode', so not really useful yet. I'll see how the conrols are supposed to work but would expect that e.g. the direction sensors of the device make some great navigation input. Not sure how the 'hacking' part of the game would be done best though. Yeah, but the compilation itself worked out of the box, just for the sake of it I'll try to compile freedroid-RPG as well now and will start packaging freedroids-classic.

The Following User Says Thank You to greygoo For This Useful Post:
Any chance to upload it to extras-devel?

Once it's packaged and input somehow works I'll do that, before that I'll put it in garage.maemo.org so in case someone else is interested to help can do so. I only have time on weekends and there also not too much. Having a game without working input is not really what people would like in testing, or devel i guess. My C knowledge is rudimentary, and I never played with the n900 sensors, so some reading has to be done first.
However, I'll post the garage link here as soon as it's in, in case anybody is interested to help just let me know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greygoo For This Useful Post:
Just ran configure for freedroidrpg. It misses ogg and vorbis as usual, so no music, but worse - it complains about missing openGL libs. They do not seem to be mandatory but I guess to port the game properly a openGL -> openGLes port would be required. Game is building now, I'll let you know what the results are.

An update on the freedroidclassic package - i'm kinda struggling getting a package done at the moment, and it's quite late, so I might only be able to continue next weekend. If someone wants the compiled tar ball that can be unpacked an run on the n900 until then, drop me private message and I'll mail it. However, the input is not yet working so it might not be much fun. Also make sure you can ssh into your n900 - i have not figured out in how to actuallt quit from withing the game...

freedroidrpg also builds and starts on the n900, just in 640x480 only and withou openGL support. I guess it needs a bit more work before being a 100% n900 compatible game, but the basic code works out of the box.

Freedroidrpg can be played quite well actually, the major problem is that some keys need to be remapped so one can get past the name entry screen. Without that I was only able to start the tutorial to actually see the game running. Without opengl support I get 15 fps, but it feels well to play and the mouse input seems to be ok for the n900 touchscreen.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
btw 'new'?

Old 25-10-06, 20:54

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=freedroid

Not exactly new, but I was unable to find a built package, garage project or package. But yes - freedroid exists since some years already - I actually played through freedroidrpg myself at some point (on a PC, not a nXX0)