Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Don't be afraid of a fsck: the N800 will neatly shutdown before the battery is completely empty.

Another tip: I don't use autolock, but my screen dims quickly. A short tap to the menu button and it is there again.

To lock the screen, a short tap to the power button and confirm the dialogue box.

With light use and constant running, I get an uptime of 3 days and more. I also don't shut down for charging.
Another tip: "softpoweroff", the hidden power setting, will not halt music playback.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by linickx View Post
The pin on the n800 charger is smaller than all my other phone (nokia 6230) ones, is this new pin n800 specific or do some of the newer phones have it ?
Whoops! overlooked that one. The N800 pin is in fact the new Nokia "standard" for chargers. Any charger that charges a Nokia phone, with big or small tip, should charge your N800 as well (it has, after all, a bog-standard Nokia BP-5L phone battery inside). Nokia sells a (hideously overpriced) adapter to go from the big to the small tip, but I found a generic charger with ten different tips (including the expensive Nokia one) for about what Nokia charges for the tip alone. Shop around; everybody makes Nokia accessories.

One warning: if you buy knock-off Nokia batteries, you might get shafted. Most have noticeably less capacity than the original and some might get you in trouble with your local Homeland Security branch (they explode).

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Note: no one here has reported an exploding battery and no one here has posted a link to a story of an exploding battery. My batteries don't act explosive and work well. The only battery I had trouble with appeared to be a genuine Nokia battery.

im using a 770, but here is what i have noticed:

if the battery is not fully charged before installing the os, it seems to assume that the charge level you are at is 100%

when using os2006, the magnetic sensor on the slide cover cuts screen and network power and i get enough battery for my normal use for a couple of days. downloading a large file (200mb+) can drain battery..probably the constant use of rs-mmc + radio.

when using os2007, i have to be a power nazi and set it to auto disconnect often and set screen brightness to low, and blank out after a few seconds, otherwise the battery life is abysmal. might also have something to do with more cpu use in os2007 (and/or diff cpu/memory power management behavior between the two sets of hardware? os2007 was meant for an n800 after all. but then again it uses the 2006 kernel so..thats something for me to look into i guess)

what i get out of this is, the battery meter is pretty accurate if you use your battery correctly and keep the radio use down -- and dont overdo the screen brightness. strangely, audio volume or constant audio (for music playback at least) doesnt seem to effect battery life much -- however the n800 has two larger speakers so that is likely a different story for you guys.

ymmv

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by linickx View Post
with a continuous wifi connection (adhoc mode, if that makes a difference) installing and playing with apps I only got a little over 1hrs usage (quiet disappointing).
adhoc mode is power killer, AFAIK power saving mode doesn't work in ad-hoc mode by design. You need access point so that the wlan chip can sleep properly. Access point manages the network and caches network packets for devices in power saving mode. They can just wake up periodically (like once per 100ms) and check for packets waiting for them. This saves power a lot and is not possible in ad-hoc mode.

Also for further power savings when connected to AP you can reduce PSM timeout on device, default is 1 second, see this
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...rs/18057#18057

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mattsqz View Post
im using a 770, but here is what i have noticed:

if the battery is not fully charged before installing the os, it seems to assume that the charge level you are at is 100%
Umm, what do you mean by 'installing the os'? How did you come to this conclusion?
Originally Posted by mattsqz View Post
when using os2007, i have to be a power nazi and set it to auto disconnect often and set screen brightness to low, and blank out after a few seconds, otherwise the battery life is abysmal. might also have something to do with more cpu use in os2007 (and/or diff cpu/memory power management behavior between the two sets of hardware? os2007 was meant for an n800 after all. but then again it uses the 2006 kernel so..thats something for me to look into i guess)
To me power management in OS2007 on 770 seems same or better than with OS2006. In OS2007 you can even reduce wlan PSM timeout which should save significant power when e.g. listening internet radio.

Thanks for all the tips, it's been very helpful

Final question, I've googled (and found) softpoweroff, is there a way to get the n800 to ask for a "lock code" when it comes back online ? Lock device doesn't switch off the screen (straight away), so I guess it doesn't power off the other stuff too.

Edit: Added (straight away) for clarity.

Thanks Karel! I'll take a look into its. I didn't even realize there was an reducing adapter for the plug. That will make life much easier.

batteries are inexpensive, buy a couple but, look for one with a charger. You should get 3.5 hours out of a fully charged battery with a maH rating of 1500 and 3 out of one marked 1300. I have checked for unusual battery heating and had no dangerous levels recorded. I use my n800 heavily 5 days a week. I really just need to find a good word processor.