Notices

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ germany
Hi,
I'm the person who ported xmms to the n8x0. I left the forum due to several reasons.. but i am tempted to buy an n900 so..
You can find it from gronmayer.com/it.
Does this not install? Yes, it's "chinook" but maybe nothing in xmms and dep conflicts with n900 os? Dunno really. At least for diablo, nothing needed to be changed

And yes, xmms, gtk is not updated anymore. They might contain security problems (one could create a user xmms to lower the risk of impact on "user" files).
Big problem: it's not hildonized, is probably impossible to be (I'm not expert on this). The code is huge, not particularly easy to read. Also there is a localisation problem in gtk so it's locked in LANG=C. Same problem appears on debian x86.
Big advantage: it's really fast and simple.
I'm nevertheless missing upnp features so I'm not using it anymore.

I've also put the complete directory as a tar.gz in the repository. gtk 1.x. I might still have it on my old laptop where I've developped this. And you can probably find it on archive of debian repo.

Report what are the problems.
Use at your own risk..

Everything is still archived by debian:
Debian packages daily archived since 2005/03/13:
http://snapshot.debian.net/

Last edited by patator; 2010-01-23 at 23:08. Reason: added link to debian snapshot

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patator For This Useful Post:
At least one other user had done a port too.
Mine is a _direct port_ and needs no special knowledge, only how to build a deb package.

Originally Posted by patator View Post
Hi,
I'm the person who ported xmms to the n8x0. I left the forum due to several reasons.. but i am tempted to buy an n900 so..
You can find it from gronmayer.com/it.
Does this not install? Yes, it's "chinook" but maybe nothing in xmms and dep conflicts with n900 os? Dunno really. At least for diablo, nothing needed to be changed....

[much snipped]

Report what are the problems.
Use at your own risk..
Thanks for the information and all your past work on this. I tried a "no-act" installation, and this is the relevant portion of what apt-get reported:

Code:
apt-get -s install xmms     
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  xmms: Depends: libaudiofile0 (>= 0.2.3-4) but it is not installable
        Depends: libesd0 but it is not installable
        Depends: libglib1.2ldbl (>= 1.2.10-18) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libgtk1.2 (>= 1.2.10-4) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: xmmsctrl (>= 1.9-3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Originally Posted by patator View Post
Hi,
I've posted it here but XMMS thread has been dropped.
I see some serious memory leak when using XMMS on n810.
While playing - it constantly consumes more and more memory - up to exhausting all system resources.
It's relatively slow process. On my n810 with 256MB of swapfile it takes around 30min to make my tablet unresponsive.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
...Someone is bound to ask, "why would you want an obsolete player like XMMS?" Here are a few answers; feel free to choose the one that comes closest to making sense to you:.
The ONLY player that has an equalizer. And if push all freq to +20, you have a sound volume 100X louder, hope it does NOT crack your speakers.

bun

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
The ONLY player that has an equalizer. And if push all freq to +20, you have a sound volume 100X louder, hope it does NOT crack your speakers.

bun
More important is it can fill the gap for speaker audio path.
As I've noticed - internal speakers (esp. on n810) play fine when high frequencies are attenuated or there is no any (like on low quality streams). Playing 192kbit audio can be fatal to ears using speakers, simple correction makes audio sound great (as for mobile device) - I prefer listening to the Internet radio on n810 (48k, 64k streams) on it's speakers than my laptop or monitor built in ones.

That's why I think EQ is crucial.

Not to mention that XMMS is one fo players where one don't have to fight with all ID3 tag idea... simply plays selected files in selected order. What can be better

Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
Thanks for the information and all your past work on this. I tried a "no-act" installation, and this is the relevant portion of what apt-get reported:

Code:
apt-get -s install xmms     
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  xmms: Depends: libaudiofile0 (>= 0.2.3-4) but it is not installable
        Depends: libesd0 but it is not installable
        Depends: libglib1.2ldbl (>= 1.2.10-18) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libgtk1.2 (>= 1.2.10-4) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: xmmsctrl (>= 1.9-3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Thanks

Try apt-get -s install xmms libaudiofile0 libesd0 libglib1.2ldbl libgtk1.2 xmmsctrl

etc.. till it accepts.

not sure how simulation works, does it also try to solve dependencies. cause xmmsctrl is also in the repo.

I'd say.. install it. I'll help you privately if it breaks something. It would be very easy to revert as this package is self contained to this repository.

By the way it's not optified. I guess you know it.. should be easy though to do a dirty- optify.

The Following User Says Thank You to patator For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
I've posted it here but XMMS thread has been dropped.
I see some serious memory leak when using XMMS on n810.
While playing - it constantly consumes more and more memory - up to exhausting all system resources.
It's relatively slow process. On my n810 with 256MB of swapfile it takes around 30min to make my tablet unresponsive.
Okay, never noticed myself but I partially remember from a year ago someone saying this..

If that's the case, then that's really bad.
I'm trying right now on my n800. I'll see.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patator For This Useful Post:
My n800 with 3GB of mp3 loaded in xmms..
http://p.quinput.eu/debfarm/munin/

Last edited by patator; 2010-01-23 at 23:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to patator For This Useful Post:
Which output are you using?
Alsa?

(I think the problem was in alsa)

Last edited by patator; 2010-01-23 at 22:30.

Tags
audacious, nokia n900