Active Topics

Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
Maybe if Nokia confirms that Ovi Maps 3.0 with free navigation will be available for N900, setting at least a target date, sales figures would grow. At least if I hadn't bought it yet would think twice before choosing N900 besides N97 or now Google Nexus...
I don't like to further invest in SW (Navigation, ... ...) for a platform from which I know it has a limited future. Also, I don't see Symbian/N97 as a valid alternative compared with iPhone or Google Nexus ... N97 is only half way to what Nexus offers. N900 is not better, not worse, but for sure something valuable and competetive. At least it was until yesterday's announcement not to have stopped Maemo 5 development in advantage of Maemo 6 and a new device.

=> Guess I will wait for SE X10 or what it is called now, and see what Nokia did until then. And yes, I know I have to pay for t-b-t navigation on that platform. But it has still support ....

The Following User Says Thank You to Wiener For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
If the numbers posted in this thread are correct, Nokia has allready increased production over threefold from what it was expecting. So it's allready huge success as far as Nokia's own estimates are concerned.
Absolutely I believe it has been a success and exceeded Nokia's expectations. I believe they thought the N900 would be a niche product, infact it attracted a large audience (in large part down to the couple of years of lack of innovative products/N97/S60 touch's failings).

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Wiener View Post
and competetive. At least it was until yesterday's announcement not to have stopped Maemo 5 development in advantage of Maemo 6 and a new device.
Note that there can be other (WARNING: highly speculative) reasons for this. There is no point in developing a Maemo 5 specific version TODAY, if a) the Maemo 6 version can be backported when Maemo 5 gains official Qt4.6/QtMobility support, or b) if the N900 is going to get a Maemo 6 upgrade.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Brank View Post
Indeed. But as I tryed to emphasize but guess I failed. It would be a kind of hacking tool or something like. You know techy guys would use it, or agents or something

Think Die Hard 4, but instead of having a laptop or anything, the kid would've had a N900.
Nah...since Hollywood is remaking "every movie ever made" (Karate Kid, Robocop, Red Dawn...WTF?), when they get around to "Hackers" (scene where they were checking out Jolie's laptop), they could throw a 900 in there.

I still don't have mine, so go figure

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
[...] "Hackers" (scene where they were checking out Jolie's laptop), they could throw a 900 in there.
Considering the year that movie was made, the N900 would be the server they hacked.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Anyone else believe not publishing number (if they are significant) is a detriment to the success of the platform? My thought is that many developers are business people and will invest their own time and resources into developing for the platform when they will know that they will get a good ROI. I think that we as a community are willing to pay for apps that we consider valuable and not currently available in another form (opensource). by this logic It would make good sense to talk about NUMBERS of users and BEHAVIOR of the users. This could in effect drive the development of the ecosystem.

thoughts?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matthewcc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
Anyone else believe not publishing number (if they are significant) is a detriment to the success of the platform? My thought is that many developers are business people and will invest their own time and resources into developing for the platform when they will know that they will get a good ROI. I think that we as a community are willing to pay for apps that we consider valuable and not currently available in another form (opensource). by this logic It would make good sense to talk about NUMBERS of users and BEHAVIOR of the users. This could in effect drive the development of the ecosystem.

thoughts?
Agree. Iīd put the numbers out there. Be they a 50.000 devices a month, 100.000 devices a month or whatever they are.

I donīt think the numbers can be embarrassing at all for Nokia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
I brought up behavior because I would make a bet that the n900 community is downloading stuff more frequently then the 5800xm crowd... especially relative the the number of apps available.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Agree. Iīd put the numbers out there. Be they a 50.000 devices a month, 100.000 devices a month or whatever they are.

I donīt think the numbers can be embarrassing at all for Nokia.
Not those numbers, no. But what if it's 50? What if out of 30K members about only 10 are N900s and those were over the last 3 months? And some are giveaways? And Some found them on the street or whatever? Heh.

Seriously, I'm curious as heck.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.