Active Topics

Notices

What's it like developing for the N900 and the Maemo OS?

Miika Virtanen: Now that the Maemo platform has matured, it is quite a pleasant environment to work with. On some other platforms you might end up using a lot of time just trying to find workarounds for bugs and avoiding pitfalls in the platform. On Maemo, things just tend to work, and if something doesn't work, it tends to get fixed rather fast.
interesting quote as I think that Maemo currently provides the weakest development environment compared to other competitors.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
As for protecting the application, how about real time compilation with the IMEI on the server side, no not the whole app but certain libraries or similar. Sure it will be crackable like everything else. But it would be better than nothing at all. I like the idea of "donating" as fatalsaint mentioned, even in game/app advertisements are ok with me too .

Originally Posted by verhagke View Post
interesting quote as I think that Maemo currently provides the weakest development environment compared to other competitors.
I disagree here.. but I guess that's anyone's opinion. Personally I think Maemo development is quite easy, compared to others, but that could be because I have prior Linux development experience.

The Maemo development isn't too much more complicated than straight Linux development, which is very popular. Biggest issue is the scratchbox piece.. which MADDE hopes to fix.

I do think that maemo probably has the weakest documentation for development of any of the competitors though.... however I've been noticing it's been improving.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
well roxio get releasing more games and support the platform and you will make a mint guaranteed.

Originally Posted by nashith View Post
As for protecting the application, how about real time compilation with the IMEI on the server side, no not the whole app but certain libraries or similar. Sure it will be crackable like everything else. But it would be better than nothing at all. I like the idea of "donating" as fatalsaint mentioned, even in game/app advertisements are ok with me too .
Yeah.. in game apps are ok as well - while I would prefer without them, I would get a free app with ads before a pay app without.

And I do understand the point in putting the ads in a place that you can "accidentally" hit... but damn that gets annoying .

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I disagree here.. but I guess that's anyone's opinion. Personally I think Maemo development is quite easy, compared to others, but that could be because I have prior Linux development experience.

The Maemo development isn't too much more complicated than straight Linux development, which is very popular. Biggest issue is the scratchbox piece.. which MADDE hopes to fix.

I do think that maemo probably has the weakest documentation for development of any of the competitors though.... however I've been noticing it's been improving.

I suppose you are right, it's the lack of documentation much more so than the tool chain which drives me nuts.

I suppose you are right, it's the lack of documentation much more so than the tool chain which drives me nuts.
And in this aspect we agree completely... You can have the absolute best environment or tool in the world and render it useless if no one knows how to use it.

Documentation is very important.. and the Maemo Dev documentation seems very .. scattered, and incomplete.

For example I'm getting into the pyqt4 development.. and I have read the PySide and Pyqt4 wiki pages and what not, as well as the development wiki.. and yet I still use just random generic tutorials I find online on using pyqt4 for linux more than I do the Maemo stuff. I just try stuff and see what works and what doesn't.

I haven't done much C++-wise.. I cross-compiled a lot of software before and made small modifications to sources that wouldn't compile right.. but no full-on app development. I've read through it.. and I still think even in this arena a normal C++/QT dev tutorial is going to prove more useful than the current documentation we have .

But, as I said, it's definitely been improving.

To keep this on topic.. Roxio worked directly with Nokia on the Bounce Evolution project - so quite obviously they have a huge leap and understanding of the innerworkings of the device and the development structure because they were able to work with the source. So I can definitely see where his comment is coming from. Most developers aren't going to be so lucky.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by nashith View Post
I'd rather we'd didn't go down this road, but I think something like this will happen eventually anyway. There are too many 'big content' providers who demand protection even if it will eventually be circumvented anyway.

What happens when your phone gets sent in on warranty and you get a replacement? What if you want to resell/gift/transfer your purchase? What if you have 2 n900s?

It would be a good idea to secure the delivery method though, i.e. not delivering the file from official sources if you haven't paid.

Maybe a small explanation is in order here. Partly I agree with you, the development environment is indeed somewhat weak, especially if you are coming from windows background like myself. And I have to admit, I do most of the coding in Visual Studio and switch to Linux only when I have to.

What I meant in the article was that compared to other mobile platforms N900 is quite well behaving and easy to work with. Like with Symbian you end up always having quite ridiculous problems. C++ in Android feels like a hack and is missing features like exceptions. Brew compiler didn't even support namespaces. On iPhone everything is so tightly controlled it creates restrictions for the development, and all for nothing at least based on reported piracy rates between 80-95%.

On N900 the foundation feels solid and the work flow is practical. You don't even have to touch the phone since you can do everything wirelessly over SSH.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Miika For This Useful Post:
Thx for chiming in on this Miika. Congrats on your successful app launch