Perhaps there were too many cries from the mobile linux community. The following project looks very promising. I hope this will get us a real free linux on our devices.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileAndEmbedded

Yea, I figure in about two years we'll see something that is actually usable.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Modulok View Post
Perhaps there were too many cries from the mobile linux community. The following project looks very promising. I hope this will get us a real free linux on our devices.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileAndEmbedded
So...
- the drivers for the N800's wireless chips are available then?
- Nokia has published the power management specs?
- Linux has magically obtained a usable HWR engine?
- What did I forget?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
So...
[...]
- What did I forget?
You forget to be happy and start to write free drivers for the Nokia tablets if you are able to.
This is possible even for windows mobile devices:

http://www.handhelds.org/geeklog/index.php

Instead of complaining you can help to make it possible...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Modulok View Post
You forget to be happy and start to write free drivers for the Nokia tablets if you are able to.
This is possible even for windows mobile devices:

http://www.handhelds.org/geeklog/index.php

Instead of complaining you can help to make it possible...
Plonk.......

Plonk.......
Haha, Plonk... I haven't heard that one in a while

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
So...
- the drivers for the N800's wireless chips are available then?
- Nokia has published the power management specs?
- Linux has magically obtained a usable HWR engine?
- What did I forget?
I believe reverse engineering it would not be too hard, but somehow, i don't really see much hackers hanging around in our N800 community.

Either way, it's not a matter of maemo goodbye though.

I, like threadstarter, was abit happy there until i realised that Ubuntu Mobile will make use of the Hildon architecture and yes, they are developing based on maemo operating system.

While i'll still be stuck on this Hildon monster for sometime, i think Ubuntu Mobile means we're gonna get a lot more hildonized apps ready. =)

Cheers!

Last edited by torx; 2007-05-22 at 12:48.

With Intels MID platform, I don't see much future for ARM based devices like the N800 unless the standby times on the x86 stuff is really short. No way to know until its out I suppose =)

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
With Intels MID platform, I don't see much future for ARM based devices like the N800 unless the standby times on the x86 stuff is really short. No way to know until its out I suppose =)
there will always be more fanciful things comiing up, but as long as my n800 can serve my needs,i won't be looking at a umpc. Furthermore, how many are going to run linux and how many will have official linux support?

Originally Posted by torx View Post
there will always be more fanciful things comiing up, but as long as my n800 can serve my needs,i won't be looking at a umpc. Furthermore, how many are going to run linux and how many will have official linux support?
Any of them will run linux. They are just itsy bitsy laptops. How well they run it is a whole nother matter.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.