Active Topics

I have tried for awhile now but no luck in accessing the internet from my N800 - cellphone modem connection. I can connect via my home pc wireless router without a problem. The phone is a Cingular/Motorola V3 Razr. I have enabled the Bluetooth and went through the N800 wizard to pair them up. That seemed to go fine. When I went to connect to the internet via the N800 all I got was a 'couldn't connect' message. Initially on the phone it wanted me to grant access to the N800. I changed a setting inside which made that automatic. I just want to set it up in case I am on the road and want to connect. I do not want a data plan from Cingular. I might use it once in awhile. Can anyone explain how to in layman's terms or steps? What am I doing wrong? I thought it would be straightforward. Thanks for the help!!

This is what i did when connecting to cingular. In control panel select connections, then choose your phone connection then edit. In the next screen there are 2 lines where you need to replace with 'wap'.

I believe it sould say wap.cigular, and wap@cingulargprs.com. Leave the other lines as they are such as password etc. Let me know if this works. Also IM assuming you chose cingular internet as the default choice.

CobraKC

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
According to the Bluetooth DUN Compatability list (please excuse the formatting - hopefully only a temporary problem) the V3 Razr should support DUN.

It sounds like you've done the right things so far: pair the phone and N800, flag the N800 as trusted on the phone then surf the web. I did find bug #1217 which may be the cause of your problem, give it a go and see if it makes any difference.

To change details...

1. Go into Control Panel -> Connectivity, press Connections button
2. Select your Bluetooth phone connection then Edit button
3. Next
4. Change username, password and address ("Access point name" in dialog) as per bug #1217
5. Finish

Hope it helps.

EDIT: I need to learn to type faster...

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-05-09 at 05:08.

Beware of Cingular data charges. It could get very expensive. Think in terms of $1 per page while browsing.

Thank you guys! Your suggestions worked. I changed it to wap.cingular and all is well. Now while it would be expensive to do...I can at least do it on occasion if I like. I would never have figured that out. It makes the N800 more useful so you could use it in a car on a trip via your cell phone. THANKS AGAIN!!! I appreciate the help!!!

for those who dont know this...

If you sign up for cingulars $20/month unlimited access (Medianet unlimited) for your cell phone (IE: you have a qualifying phone such as the razor/lg500 etc). Cingular CANNOT tell the difference if you are on your phone or on your nokia.

all of cingulars dataplans are "on your honor", the only thing that changes your charge is the contract (what you admit to).

As far as their network is concerned, they see your phone connecting, not your handheld.

Teathering is a feature of your phone, not the plan, when you teather your nokia to your phone, the nokia is getting internet access from your phone... you phone inturn gets it from cingular. Cingular sees it as only your phone getting access.

I've been on cingulars $20/month plan for months and use it all the time, and have never been charged a penny in connect charges. (so this isnt hear-say, I Personally use it and have checked)

and fYI: these are the numbers i get (download/upload) on my lg500 :

GPRS network = 50K/32K
Edge: 100K/150K
3G: 400K/500K

and yes, i get better upload than download speed for some reason.

Originally Posted by Delphipgmr View Post
for those who dont know this...

If you sign up for cingulars $20/month unlimited access (Medianet unlimited) for your cell phone (IE: you have a qualifying phone such as the razor/lg500 etc). Cingular CANNOT tell the difference if you are on your phone or on your nokia.

all of cingulars dataplans are "on your honor", the only thing that changes your charge is the contract (what you admit to).

As far as their network is concerned, they see your phone connecting, not your handheld.

Teathering is a feature of your phone, not the plan, when you teather your nokia to your phone, the nokia is getting internet access from your phone... you phone inturn gets it from cingular. Cingular sees it as only your phone getting access.
Cingular proxies all connections and obviously can watch what you do anytime they want. You don't suppose that looking at http headers would tell them your browser type? Or that a cell phone connecting to Windows Update would be a giveaway?

I've heard of peoples data getting blocked after tethering on a non-tethering data plan, even though most people seem to get away with it.

not without a court order can they monitor anything with your connection, that is an invasion of privacy.

(and yes, i am an attorney)

and im sure the ones you've heard about are the idiots who call tech support asking how to teather....

I also checked my bill, they dont even monitor KB's on unlimited plans

Hey Delph, sent you a message. I am having the same problem but with my 770. New user and member here. Just got this yesterday and trying to get it squared away. I have the same LG CU500 with unlimited broadband access plan and can't seem to get this to work. I know I must be doing something wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to O.G. For This Useful Post: