Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
If this is posted elsewhere on these forums please link me, I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant.....

I have about 200 movies that I've converted into h.264/avc over the years when I had my iPhone, I've always had problems playing them on my N900, they play beautifully on iPhones (2G, 3G, 3GS)/iPod Touch's (1G)/Archos Box's/Blackberry Storms, yes I've tested all these devices over the years, these are the basic settings

I use Handbrake for mac

Size: 640x272 or 640x320 depending on the aspect ratio of the film
Encoder: x264
Quaitly: 53-60% constant depending on 'my opinion' the quailty of the film, I generally do action/sci-fi films at 60%, cartoons and dramas at 53%
FPS: same as source
Audio: AAC (Core Audio)

I've been using these settings for years and have worked over numerous devices...

When I first got my N900 the movies playback was very choppy with skipped frames, the minor update last week improved the playback slightly but skipped frames were still noticeable in fast moving scenes and now PR 1.1 refuses to play any of my media..

I have installed the extra decoders pack from devel but still no luck, as I do not have a Windows PC re-flashing my N900 is a problem, I know there is a flasher tool for mac's but to be honest I don't really wan't to risk 3rd Party Software fubar'ing my phone.

Any one got any ideas????

PS If anyone suggests re-encoding over 200 DVD's I will put a HEX on you.....

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
if the built-in player (gstreamer) fails then try mplayer from devel repository. if you want to have a gui install SiB as well.

there is a discussion on videos on the n900 too -> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...256#post473256

but i have to say that your settings seem really low. in this discussion the videos that have been tried had much higher settings and played nearly smooth.

Last edited by b666m; 2010-01-15 at 09:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by b666m View Post
if the built-in player (gstreamer) fails then try mplayer from devel repository. if you want to have a gui install SiB as well.

there is a discussion on videos on the n900 too -> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...256#post473256

but i have to say that your settings seem really low. in this discussion the videos that have been tried had much higher settings and played nearly smooth.
Well this is interesting

I installed mplayer and SiB, but SiB does not even list these movies files but does list other files I have on there, some DivX stuff etc.. weird!!!

I really want to get this sorted, I watch a lot of movies on my phone (well did on my iPhone) when the wife watches crap like Big Brother..

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I installed mplayer and SiB, but SiB does not even list these movies files but does list other files I have on there, some DivX stuff etc.. weird!!!
this is mentioned in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40315

Code:
edit: even though it says that subfolders will be scanned too - it doesn't do anything with .hidden folders. :/
if your videos are in the .video folder you have to add this folder manually. in the folder choosing window click long on the screen then you should be able to enable viewing of hidden folders and select the folder where your videos are placed in.

Last edited by b666m; 2010-01-15 at 10:07.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Eugene, Or
I haven't had a problem with downloaded content or converted videos.

I don't think you need to rip every dvd again, but you may need to run each video file through handbrake again (ie your vids that play choppy). Look for the wiki article on n900 video conversion.

A few movie trailers for the n900, ignore my instructions they are for apple movie trailer conversion.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=449583&postcount=1

this is mentioned in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40315

Code:
edit: even though it says that subfolders will be scanned too - it doesn't do anything with .hidden folders. :/
if your videos are in the .video folder you have to add this folder manually. in the folder choosing window click long on the screen then you should be able to enable viewing of hidden folders and select the folder where your videos are placed in.

Okie Dokie....

the .video folder was already added to SiB, so I copied an offending movie file to my memory card and removed the folder paths to video and .video but added the link to the folder housing the movie...

I restarted SiB but it is still not showing the video on the memory card...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I also tried navigating the file manager and selecting the movie directly for playback but it refuses to play

my head hurts

what container are you using?
mkv? <- isn't well supported right now
mp4? <- this should work

what container are you using?
mkv? <- isn't well supported right now
mp4? <- this should work
Dude firstly Mucho Kudos to your continued help..

All the files on my N900 are m4v.

I tried using mplayer in the command line and got it to play the file but it crashes after 3 or 4 seconds.....

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Dude firstly Mucho Kudos to your continued help..

All the files on my N900 are m4v.

I tried using mplayer in the command line and got it to play the file but it crashes after 3 or 4 seconds.....
mhm... m4v is similar to mp4... just with additional DRM..
m4v isn't recognized by gstreamer (the built-in player)
mplayer seems to have trouble with this container.

you only have to change the container from m4v to mp4.
if it has DRM information in it remove it with requiem like stated in this wiki-entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4V

changing the container format should be done very quickly.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I believe I have some similarly ripped movies, if not I can recreate your settings and test it out. Not a lot of mac users on this forum :-D

I'll give it a look in the morning (not now, the real morning, like noon, hehe).

EDIT: b666 is probably right about the container. Since the files aren't DRM'd you can probably even get away with changing the extension. You can make an automator script to batch change them (test one first!)

Last edited by sadfist; 2010-01-15 at 11:06.