Active Topics

I see there is a lot of confusion around the portrait mode issue. for most people i boils down to
A) Is it at all possible to have full portrait mode support of r all / most apps
B) Full support for to UI
C) When? the new firmware did partially add portrait mode for the browser, but not much else. ( correct me if l'm wrong, and l very well might be , but didn't Nokia promise portrait mode for "most" apps in the first firmware!?)

Now l have read , several places in the forum, that full UI portrait mode will be available (only) in Maemo 6!? Now this can't be correct can it??

Can some one please confirm or deny the claim? And can someone please answer the questions above ( to the extent that it's possible)

Now l know there are a bunch of "portrait mode" threads around , and l have read a few, but l keep getting different and mixed signals. And l know that l might be rethreading the same ground for the XX time, but bare with me, and keep the "it'll be done when it's done" comments to a minimum, alright lads?

Kind regards....

Last edited by DeboX; 2010-01-14 at 11:41.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bangalore
Can u pls point me to the info where Nokia had officially promised to include portrait mode for all the apps in the first firmware update?

As i know, nothing like that was ever promised.

Looking for lings now, but there is an article that hints towards it

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n900_u...-news-1288.php

and another hint on this on http://nokia-n900.com/trick-your-nok...portrait-mode/

btw easy mate, didn't mean to upset you

Last edited by DeboX; 2010-01-14 at 11:40.

A) each app has to implement it's own support for portrait; there is no way a nokia update can automagically make a 3rd party app work perfectly in portrait
B) not yet. i haven't seen any official announcement that it won't come till maemo 6 though
C) they promised support for the browser (and maybe a few more things). but i don't think there was official promise of full support, just rumors
Hope this helps!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
MrGrim, granted this might be a tad of a complicated question, but is there a chance that UI support will be left out of M5 (Meamo 5? Got a bit nervous when l saw several posts mentioning that there will be ,at best, limited support for portrait mode on the M5 and N900.

does anyone know whether or not it will be able to write text msg in portrait mode via the vr keyboard? ( just a quick example) Or will FBReader and Evince work in portrait mode ( granted based on your answer in A, l assume this is up to the developers at FBReader and Evince)

Btw LouisLoh, better late then never ;P

Last edited by DeboX; 2010-01-14 at 11:36.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
who cares i like the way the n900 is lol. it feels more like a computer in landscape lol

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
A) Applications can support portrait if the developer chooses to implement it.
B) No. Fixed in harmattan
C) Browser has portrait now, it's very nice for reading though.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by DeboX View Post
does anyone know whether or not it will be able to write text msg in portrait mode via the vr keyboard? ( just a quick example) Or will FBReader and Evince work in portrait mode ( granted based on your answer in A, l assume this is up to the developers at FBReader and Evince)
FBReader already supports portrait mode (as it did in OS2008).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
The SMS conversation app is incredibly important, probably the most for me - reading sms's on the move is v hard in portrait (let alone obviously impossible to write one at the moment)

Originally Posted by DeboX View Post
C) When? the new firmware did partially add portrait mode for the browser, but not much else. ( correct me if l'm wrong, and l very well might be , but didn't Nokia promise portrait mode for "most" apps in the first firmware!?)
(No, portrait mode has been promised only for the browser.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post: