Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I found the English keyboard is just right the way it is. The German layout I use on my main device suffers a lot from the fact that we have 4 additional characters that somehow need to find a place. I have to admit that Nokia really found the best possible solution and I couldn't find one single key I would have assigned differently.... but still: It means we have symbols like "," and even letters (!) on blue Fn-combinations. The thing with the arrow keys has already been discussed here... I personally don't find it that bad in practice, but there are situations when you would like "arrow up" to be a key of its own. (Press [Shift]+[Up] when [Up] is [Fn]+[Left]...)

So yes, the size of the keys is OK, they are good to type on, they have a nice rubbery feeling,... but I wish I wouldn't need the [Fn] key so often. Give me more keys. So: Give me a 4th row!

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
I'm on a Norwegian version myself, we have 3 extra characters. And yes, scrolling up and down without using FN would be nice, I agree.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cernunnos For This Useful Post:
Not bad the way it is, but I'd love to see a 4th row for entering numbers.

Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
Everyone keeps saying the the keyboard is so horrible etc. I bought this phone yesterday, and after 4-5 hours of constant use I'm now pretty much typing faster with the keyboard than I ever did on my 5800. Maybe not as fast as a normal alpha-numeric phone, but still pretty fast.

Anyone agree, disagree?
Keyboard is great save for the lack of dedicated number keys which I find really annoying

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Only thing that bothers me is that i have to use fn key to get numbers.
Coming from a Motorola Q, which I still have, and a brief stint with the Droid (which I actually liked typing on, either holding it in the air, or more so by lying it on a table) its not so much having to use the Fn key for numbers, as much as its a problem that they are aligned in a row, instead of "keypad" layout...for me anyway. I think it would be better served with a 4th row, for numbers and whatever is left over for symbols/functions.

The physical keys however, as far as size, spacing, and shape, are more than fine, and would be a great addition on something like the Droid.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
i think the N900's keyboard is great !

The feel of the keyboard is great, the complaints are mostly about it having too few keys for most use cases and the resulting inevitable compromises.

I don't mind the keyboard. But honestly, I like the keyboard to my E90 a little better.

Either way, I'm not *****ing about it. It is what it is.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
No issues with the keyboard either. Having come from a Tytn II this was a simple transition for me. Couldn't imagine using a phone without a keyboard now.

I don't mind having the number keys behind the FN key. What annoys me in the keyboard layout, though, is the fact that Finnish layout doesn't have the full arrows as the English does.

Now every game that has been made to use the arrow keys (such as Ur-Quan Masters) can't be played with the Finnish keyboard layout. This can be fixed by changing the keyboard layout in the settings, but it is annoying to have wrong text written on the key, and switching between English/Finnish all the time is not very nice either.