Ari Jaaksi, on his latest post on his blog announces that Nokia has decided to continue with the bug fixing and release of newer 'Hacker Edition' firmware for the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet. Quim Gil writes on his blog:We will keep working on the IT OS 2007 Hacker edition for the 770. We will go through IT OS 2006 bugs submitted in maemo’s Bugzilla, trying to solve at least the most relevant and the ones already fixed in the official IT OS 2007. We will release the fixes in updated images, all of them unofficial and to be used at your own risk. We can’t make any promise on performance levels or specific bug fixes, but hopefully you will be happier than now with the results.Quim Gil also apologizes:This is our goal, and sometimes we need to rush in order to achieve the milestones in the way. The 770 support while delivering the N800 on time suffered from one of these sprints. A mistake was made, our apologies. We are trying to ammend it and learn from it. Please be patient with this ongoing project, and expect progress from our side around the topics that concern you most.Links: Ari Jaaksi's Blog Quim Gil's Blog
Read the full article.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
sweet! I wish they would have at least bugfixed IT2006 one more time though before going to the unsupported IT2007 route. But I'll take what I can get.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
This is extremely good news - IT2007 runs very well on 770, it needs more polish but it sounds like Nokia have realised IT2007 on 770 is a viable platform after all and solves many of the problems that have angered the community.

Not only have Nokia done the right thing (and promised to continue opening the platform) but most importantly they have demonstrated they are listening and willing to respond accordingly. Thumbs up Nokia!

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Yes, this is definitely good news. I'm glad Nokia is actually taking appropriate action to the feedback many of us have given as it concerns the continued development of the 770 and IT2007. It'll be good to see the platform (which is still quite young) continue to grow and mature further.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Kudos for Nokia!

I have a N800, but my 770 still works....

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
This is extremely good news - IT2007 runs very well on 770, it needs more polish but it sounds like Nokia have realised IT2007 on 770 is a viable platform after all and solves many of the problems that have angered the community.

Not only have Nokia done the right thing (and promised to continue opening the platform) but most importantly they have demonstrated they are listening and willing to respond accordingly. Thumbs up Nokia!

I think we can openly " blame " Milhouse for this. He fought for this cause with all his tooth...tooth and nail. If I was in UK, I would have bought him a barrel of the best Ale around that area.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
What I'd *really* like to see is the OS2007on770 build process opened up, so it could be owned (or at least co-owned) by the community.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Ha, not down to just me - plenty of others had their voices heard and were far more eloquent than I. A community effort got Nokia to turn this decision around!

PS. Beer tokens gratefully accepted.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Ha, not down to just me - plenty of others had their voices heard and were far more eloquent than I. A community effort got Nokia to turn this decision around!

PS. Beer tokens gratefully accepted.
I'd like to think a certain email helped too.

All I can say is, WOW! What a surprising turn of events. This is excellent news. Good going Nokia!!! Many thanks to Nokia and this awesome community.