Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austria
Originally Posted by jeffsf View Post
This is a "must have" (v3, with safe handling of the file and memory) for me as well. The compatible Maemo app (regrettably) of the same name out there now is old and insecure. The "real" PasswordSafe now has a Linux Makefile, but I haven't been successful on Ubuntu to compile it. I'll be beating on it as well, as my N900 has neither Java for the SWT version, nor wishkit for Password Gorilla.
I had a look on pwsafe, but found no easy way to import my SplashID database. However, I could import (with some fields not matchin well, though) into KeePass.
I see there is a KeePassX app - anyone using it? Could I sync the database file to the PC in a way?

Originally Posted by jeffsf View Post
The HP calc I use is Free42
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/free42/
I used a HP19BII and a still use a HP48G - it is great to see an RPN calc on the N900. :-)

And thanks a lot for sharing your favourite apps!

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by Hakapes View Post
I used a HP19BII and a still use a HP48G - it is great to see an RPN calc on the N900. :-)
Even before I ordered by N900, I saw Free42 on the site and it definitely influenced by decision. The calculator on my previous cell phone was pathetic at best.

Free42 is the most perfect of all the utilities I've tried because it provides real value, works exactly as expected and has not disappointed me at any time. I'm delighted with it.

However, Free42 is not an "application" IMHO. It is a utility or a tool and a very good one. But it isn't the reason I own an N900. The real applications for me are phone, PDA/PIM, camera, GPS, media and good integration with Outlook on my laptop. Those are the real apps, and in that regard, the N900 is a mixture of cool things and a lot of frustration. I think it was released pre-maturely and we've all clearly been seconded as beta testers.

Of the "apps" I've tried, here are the ones that are still installed and getting used:
- camkeyd (very useful)
- Conky (because I'm curious)
- Decoders Support (I assume this is helping Media Player)
- DiskUsage
- EightyOne (I love Sudoku)
- free42 (of course!)
- FriendStatus IM Statuses Aggregator
- garnet-vm (to run PalmOS apps)
- GBoggle (I love Boggle too)
- Gonvert (although I'm not in love with interface)
- GPSJinni (only because the GPS drives me nuts, so I want to see what's happening)
- load-applet
- location-test-gui (same reason as GPSJinni)
- Ogg support (let's me play FLAC in Media Player?)
- rootsh
- The Milky Way Wallpaper
- WifiInfo

The following are installed but not getting much usage:
- Droid Fonts (is being used by something else that I can't determine, otherwise I would delete this)
- FM Radio Player (the app needs work, but more importantly the FM radio on the N900 barely works anyway and since it requires the Bluetooth radio, it also eats battery. This is a disappointment for me as I am a big FM radio fan.)
- GPXView (but I haven't been out geocaching this winter)
- Maemo Periodic (nice to have, but not mandatory)
- OMWeather (cool for awhile, but only really works if you're online often)
- PackageView (too much information)
- Pidgin Extra Protocols/Pidgin-supported protocols (not sure if these are doing anything useful for me)
- maeomo-recorder / Recorder (a voice-recorder should really be tied to a button to activate it, otherwise it's too clumsy.)
- StockThis (I need to sit down and plug in my portfolio)
- stopish (not in love with it)
- unzip (used it once)

Here are "apps" that were pre-installed that I won't use:
- Amazon installer/Amazon widget (might help Amazon, does little for me)
- AP News Desktop Widget/AP News Installer (I really tried to like this, but frankly widgets just eat battery and this one doesn't provide enough value)
- Documents To Go Installer/Documents To Go Viewer Edition (I thought this might be compelling, but in practice, the N900 is not a laptop and shouldn't try to be one.)
- Facebook Installer (I'm not into Facebook)
- Foreca Installer/ForecaWeather widget (I was ready to like this app, but it is buggy. It doesn't remember my units settings.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post:
I should add that I'm waiting for a good countdown timer for Maemo 5. I would use it pretty much daily.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
One word: 'fbreader'

I'm a huge ebook addict and this application is priceless to me.

There are many others but this one tops my list.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kajko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Portland, Or
Originally Posted by bgrigor View Post
-Conky (because I'm curious)
=
-Droid Fonts (is being used by something else that I can't determine, otherwise I would delete this)
There you go! If you click Uninstall, then Select Droid Fonts, then click Details, then Select the Uninstalling tab it lets you know it's a dependency for Conky. Same goes for any program.

Originally Posted by ohwut View Post
There you go! If you click Uninstall, then Select Droid Fonts, then click Details, then Select the Uninstalling tab it lets you know it's a dependency for Conky. Same goes for any program.
Thanks so much for that! I knew enough to get to Details, but I didn't think to check the Uninstalling tab.

advanced call manager if it is available

@Brad
Thanks for the "installed but not getting much usage" section, too, so I know where to loose time. :-)