Active Topics

Poll: How do you feel about your N900?
Poll Options
How do you feel about your N900?

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I voted for minors. It doesn't seem like phone unfinished is minor, but hey, i love the rest and frankly if Nokia asked me whether I'll buy it now with internet and OS and flash and wifi and GPS and stuff "but contacts has no maps liking" I would have probably laughed. No use not admitting it now. I would have taken it anyway because that's what they are, annoyances to be solved soon. Right? Annoyances. Soon.

I said SOON!

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Minor issues for me, for basic uses that I want/need, Email, web, SIP calling, and most importantly "LED Flashlight", everything works flawlessly, with unexpected added features (adjustable WiFi power).

I just wish it had louder call volume (not sure if this is "fixable"), and expanded support for streaming Windows Media (hopefully that will come).

Voted Minor niggles, no probs at all, the only thing i want is msn integrated out-the-box, otherwise 100% happy.

I was somewhere between Minor Niggles and Serious Doubts but chose Serious Doubts.

Major gripes:
- Power management on my device is completely erratic (sometimes I get two days, sometimes just a couple of hours with similar use),
- Some core apps should have been ALOT better even as an initial release (Mail client and Maps are terrible and really detract from the usability of an otherwise excellent platform)
- Development tools, APIs, and documentation are completely unorganized in my opinion which is very frustrating from a developers point of view (not even mentioning the divide between GTK and the half baked Qt implementation) That combined with the relatively small target audience will keep the top mobile development mind share away.
- OVI store still not up and running (and even when it gets up and running, what can we expect in terms of content)
- Minor things such as: no support for N900 in OVI suite (I mean come on!!!)

I still LIKE the device, mostly for the potential it has, but unless these (mostly) software issues are resolved quickly, I am very concerned about the future of this platform.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to verhagke For This Useful Post:
Voted "no complaints". I think I knew what I was getting into. I really didn't expect everything out of the box with a new platform (+ I've had N810 for a long time). I've been positively surprised with things like overall stability. 1.5 months now and so far experienced a single reboot caused by dev software. I bought an internet tablet with 3G and phone on the side and I definitely got what I wanted.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
not being funny but it goes from minor niggles to seirous doubts- i am in the middle and clicked on serious doubts.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Hardenberg
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
With all the babble about problems here, there, and everywhere....how about a simple survey to get a clear picture of peoples' opinions of their N900s?
OK, device is great, 9 out of 10

Why not a 10? Some space for improvements, tot be expected Q1..

Great Survery... I guess N900 is not bad after all

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
if nokia releases a firmware update that includes a working imap4 email client and improves the media player a bit(better playlists, coverart show properly), upgrading the phone apps functionality and a few UI improvements, I won't have much to complain any more

and I expect nokia to release an update with exactly the points I've mentioned

so minor niggles for me

Originally Posted by sinetype View Post
Until now, no problems at all. Except the Wi-Fi bug (that drains the battery super fast even when disconnected) i've no complains with hardware issues.
Yes, this is a shame and shows clearly that this device was rushed to the markets to hit the xmas business and the good faith of the buyers was abused
by nokia which as was stated by the fortunate testers of the new firmware has indeed a fix for this bug but rather then "release often" and let us use our devices in the end prefers to keep it secret for the next weeks (months?).
This is not the linux way of doing things and I regret to having tought that a non linux shop like nokia would adhere to the linux etiquette of not letting the users hang. By looking at the wl12xx wifi driver code full of todos and fixmes and by looking at the load of patches queued up for inclusion for the next kernel releases which add a lot of missing features I've got the impression that the wifi subsytem was glued together in a hurry hoping for the best and so know we own an unreliable phone that eats a battery in less than one hour if we accidentally forget to reboot it after a two minutes wifi session.
Maybe the spontaneous reboots bug is instead a feature introduced by nokia to stop the battery drain?
I will wait for the new firmware in the hope that it will be release soon, just to give the nokia people a chance to get it done right. My feeling right now is to get rid of the N900 and sell it on Ebay before more people understands that it is utter crap and prices fall.