Notices

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Southern California, U.S.A.
I've set Gmail up in the default email client. It has this nasty tendency to lock up when checking email, selecting an individual email and replying to an email. Eventually the application responds but in a very annoying manner. Is there anything I can do on my end to fix this?

Originally Posted by chiques View Post
I've set Gmail up in the default email client. It has this nasty tendency to lock up when checking email, selecting an individual email and replying to an email. Eventually the application responds but in a very annoying manner. Is there anything I can do on my end to fix this?
Known bug when dealing with large email accounts. Fixed in next firmware. Trim down your mailbox to help the problem.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Wow,
That's a serious issue. I live by my gmail and the fact that it is basically unusable is a serious issue for me and my n900. I had actually been considering a Droid because of this but I might hold off till that next formware release. Any idea when it might get released?

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Setup your gmail using Nokia messaging (email.nokia.com). Using this pushes email down to your N900 so you can turn off the pull 'send and receive' every x'mins saving you on battery life.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Blobster2k View Post
Setup your gmail using Nokia messaging (email.nokia.com). Using this pushes email down to your N900 so you can turn off the pull 'send and receive' every x'mins saving you on battery life.

I would i f I could. I just does not work

I had the same issue and think I found a way to fix it. I had two accounts on the phone. One is a gmail account and the other is an Exchange account. I removed both accounts and added them back in. Now the e-mail is lightening fast. I hope that works for you as well.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I had the same problem. It is a bug in modest that causes a list of notification ids to grow to epic proportions. Removing and adding accounts will resolve it, but if you don't mind editing a configuration file you can clear it up without the more drastic method.

Details are in Bug #11139.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
I had the same problem. It is a bug in modest that causes a list of notification ids to grow to epic proportions. Removing and adding accounts will resolve it, but if you don't mind editing a configuration file you can clear it up without the more drastic method.

Details are in Bug #11139.
Thanks so much for posting the link to this bug report! Email on my N900 has been so slow that it is virtually unusable, and always one of the most disappointing aspects about this phone for me.

Following your bug report, I checked the gconf files, and sure enough there were over 500 of the li nodes in the file for one account and over 2000 for the other! I got rid of them, rebooted, and now Modest is lightning fast. It is really like having a new phone again.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Houston
could you please write some kind of instruction on how to clear up those files ? I'm having the same problem and the only fix I know is recreating the email . thc

Same problem here, significant slowing up and the waiting time ends up being ~ 1 min to just change screens in the email interface. I find myself usually trying to hunt a computer to send small emails. Any kind of instructions to make the interface faster would be helpful ...

Last edited by flydeep; 2010-10-18 at 04:15.