Notices

Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
great !
This serves fine as a 'wifi router' UP script.
Can you also put the DOWN scriptlet, to return the N900 to a normal state, pre-router state ?
I'm working (when I happen to have time) on something slightly more comprehensive: the mobile hotspot.

The hotspot_backend.py script will do the setup/teardown cleanly eventually (now it's a bit work in progress still and there is absolutely no UI [or any other way than editing the script] to select GPRS connection name etc)

Some quick questions, thinking of my already strapped for space and battery stamina device, what's the impact of adding the new kernel modules on performance/memory/battery life ? Or is there hardly any impact as long as the new functions are not used ?
As long as the modules are not loaded into the kernel they just use space (and not much of it either if you have only modules that you intend to use from time to time installed...)

Is iptables optified ? Or can't it be, as it's more OS oriented ?
iptables is small (400k deb) but I don't think there isn't any reason why it couldn't be optified.

In theory even the modules could be installed outside the rootfs but that's asking for trouble.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
I'm working (when I happen to have time) on something slightly more comprehensive: the mobile hotspot.
Yes, mobilehotspot is the way to go for the future. This was just quick and dirty.

I think you need to delete the "1" from this line in hotspot_backend.py.

Code:
        self.exec_cmd('ifconfig ' + self.wlanif + ' ' + self.network + '1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up')
iptables is small (400k deb) but I don't think there isn't any reason why it couldn't be optified.
Ya, could be optified. Most of that 400k is probably docs that don't get installed.

In theory even the modules could be installed outside the rootfs but that's asking for trouble.
That is *definitely* asking for trouble. Won't be available at boot, for one....

P.S. Edit: ah, i think i see why you have that "1" there, so the wifi connection always gets .1 in the network?

Last edited by jebba; 2010-01-03 at 22:38. Reason: ah, i think i get it.

Originally Posted by jebba View Post
P.S. Edit: ah, i think i see why you have that "1" there, so the wifi connection always gets .1 in the network?
Yep, the self.network is missing the last octet of the IPv4 address (we need the network part for the interface and for dnsmasq DHCP setup)

edit self.connection -> self.network

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Not too sure how ad-hoc differs from infrastructure mode... Is it only about power management or does it restrict it to only 1 user or something similar?

Anyway, this is going to be a killer feature, thanks to both of you :-)

Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Not too sure how ad-hoc differs from infrastructure mode... Is it only about power management or does it restrict it to only 1 user or something similar?
Wikipedia:Wireless_LAN#Peer-to-peer

Number of users is not artificially limited but physical network constraints apply. The N900 wireless module refuses to go into infrastructure mode (as-in act as basestation, being a client to a basestation is different mode) anyway so it's a moot point.

The backend script should now do somewhat sane setup/teardown (it needs to run as root/sudo, eventually the packages will setup sudoers right), however I trigger some watchdog on my device when I connect to the hotspot and the device boots soon after... laptop got IP from dnsmasq though.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX
...The N900 wireless module refuses to go into infrastructure mode (as-in act as basestation, being a client to a basestation is different mode) anyway so it's a moot point...
Was this through use of iwconfig (supposedly not supported at all anymore, any device will return "not supported" if attempting this) or through iw (using the forced __ap type, useful for testing only as it doesn't expose what's needed) or through hostapd (the supported way of entering AP mode)? Link for reference

The Following User Says Thank You to bmouring For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bmouring View Post
Was this through use of iwconfig (supposedly not supported at all anymore, any device will return "not supported" if attempting this) or through iw (using the forced __ap type, useful for testing only as it doesn't expose what's needed) or through hostapd (the supported way of entering AP mode)? Link for reference
Ah, thanks for the info. I didn't go digging around then it failed with iwconfig and just supposed it cannot work (which proves again that supposion is the mother of all f**kups).

Anyways for this use case I see no problem using ad-hoc mode, though mesh-routing would be mighty cool to do at some point...

edit: typo fix

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_LAN#Peer-to-peer"]The N900 wireless module refuses to go into infrastructure mode (as-in act as basestation, being a client to a basestation is different mode)
I filed bug 6097 for this a while ago.

Originally Posted by aboaboit View Post
I filed bug 6097 for this a while ago.
Looks like it was changed to WONTFIX. Are there any alternatives?

Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
Looks like it was changed to WONTFIX. Are there any alternatives?
I suggest reading the highly informative post by bmouring above...

edit: also INVALID, not WONTFIX, major difference...