Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
One request might be for a logger, a la Wakoopa?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Hmmm... My list:

Pixelpipe
. I love being able to post pics straight to my tumblr or flickr off the phone. (The phone's basic editing tools are handy for that, too)

Mastory: as above for blogging

FM radio

FM Transmitter widget (FM transmitter works perfectly in my car)

Twitter apps: I currently have Mauku, but I have Witter under testing, as it does a whole lot more. Oh, and I sneaked the Twitter plug-in to my conversations/contacts. Those latter two are not yet in Extras, so the usual warnings apply.

Gpodder: Collect, manage, play podcasts.

Liqtorch
: This saved, if not my life, then certainly my neck when I discovered the hard way that my security light had goofed in the frost. Granite steps in pitch dark and frost are not fun... unless you happen to have a handy torch.

Liqflow: just for the fun of it.

Bookmark to talk.maemo.org on my 'connected' screen.

There are lots of other things I love, but many of them are integrated, rather than apps. And there are a few things I'm waiting for: the Bible app and ebook reader to make it to extras. (Mo is happy to test, but I limit the number of non-optified apps under test at any one time) I would also love to see a proper editing office suite arrive in due course. I'd even pay for that if Dataviz get there first.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austria
Thanks a lot for the lists!

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by Death Scythe View Post
-load-applet > for cpu activity at a glance
If You're only interested in the cpu/mem part You can use cpumem-applet instead... It's basically load-applet without the (broken) screencast and screenshot part (I use Ctrl-shift-P for screenshots)...

vgba for playing good games i had in my advance that i dont use anymore

liqtorch

hermes

the browser for god sake

gonvert this is amazing little app

the app to change screen brightness

The Following User Says Thank You to leviathan18 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jeffsf View Post
  • HP42 Calculator
where is the hp42 calculator app? not in extras atm... i have the ti emulator but i would prefer hp because of the reverse polish notation...

@scene is *way* better than zoutube.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by Hakapes View Post
At the moment, I use my Palm Treo 680 90% as a PIM (Calendar, Contacts, List manager, E-mail checking),
  • Calendar -> If you've been using Datebook6 on your Palm you'll be disappointed as the N900's Calendar app is much weaker. Check out the GPE Calendar, it's a bit stronger.
  • Contacts -> The built-in service is nice. I don't know if anyone has made it easy to convert from a Palm address book yet, but if you can push contacts via Bluetooth that is probably the best approach.
  • List Manager -> you have the Tasks default app--or you could consider using an online Web 2.0 tool like http://www.toodledo.com since the N900 web browser is strong enough to render it successfully.
  • Email -> As far as the built-in email, it's called "Modest" for a reason, but there are other email apps that will be ported.
Originally Posted by Hakapes View Post
and only 10% for other things (dictionaries, password manager, mp3, etc.). However, if this 10% is missing, it is very painful.
  • dictionaries -> I am looking up translations more than definitions at this time. A bookmark to http://www.wordreference.com/fren is working well, but the under-development gTranslate app looks like it has promise.
  • Password Manager -> pwsafe (I should do this conversion myself.)
  • mp3 players -> many choices. Start with the built-in media player, then try Canola.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Francisco
The HP calc I use is Free42
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/free42/

Alas, why I'll likely never recommend the N900 to my friends

Non-nerd apps; USB charging - generic and reliable; Distinctive ring tones; GPS failure to lock; Competitive "maps" application; Supported MMS, iSync, Bluetooth

(The feeble FM transmitter bugs me too)

The Following User Says Thank You to jeffsf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Francisco
Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
Password Manager -> pwsafe (I should do this conversion myself.)
This is a "must have" (v3, with safe handling of the file and memory) for me as well. The compatible Maemo app (regrettably) of the same name out there now is old and insecure. The "real" PasswordSafe now has a Linux Makefile, but I haven't been successful on Ubuntu to compile it. I'll be beating on it as well, as my N900 has neither Java for the SWT version, nor wishkit for Password Gorilla.

Alas, why I'll likely never recommend the N900 to my friends

Non-nerd apps; USB charging - generic and reliable; Distinctive ring tones; GPS failure to lock; Competitive "maps" application; Supported MMS, iSync, Bluetooth

(The feeble FM transmitter bugs me too)

The Following User Says Thank You to jeffsf For This Useful Post: